Mounting AP230's to I-beams

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I'm trying to figure out how to mount AP230's in a school without drop ceilings.  The mounts they come with are only for clipping on drop ceiling runners or drilling 2 screws into drywall.

Photo of Kyle Freise

Kyle Freise

• 22 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Brian Ambler

Brian Ambler

• 245 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Hi Kyle,

It sounds like you want the suspended mount kit that we sell specifically for mounting our APs to beams or girders. More information on the mounting kit and how to install can be found here.

I am in the Support organization, but I suspect that a quick call into your reseller or sales rep would allow you to order this kit for your APs.

Hope this helps
Photo of steven

steven

• 32 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Please do have a look at an excellent write up from 7signal about AP placement. Metal can be killing for RF.

http://7signal.com/blog/poor-antenna-placement-is-a-wi-fi-killer/#.U6Kpevl_t8E

Cheers,
Steven

Photo of Julian Radetsky

Julian Radetsky

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
this blog show a problem when metal is touching the face of the ap where the antenna's are that is obvious to impede signal as it diagrams in all its pictures but there should be no serious problem with it being mounted directly to the i beam with the back touching i mean the brackets that they sell with the suspended mounts are metal them selves.
Photo of Brian Ambler

Brian Ambler

• 245 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Steven,

Yes, mounting APs directly to a metal I-beam would likely generate issues, however, if you take a look at the documentation I linked to, our mounting kit balances the AP below the beam rather than mounting directly to it.

Obviously this is height adjustable, but you can see in this exaggerated image that you should not run into the issues mentioned in your guide.
Photo of GeoffEvans

GeoffEvans

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
We have used these and they are great.  Easy to install.  We also had another client that fabricated a similar setup.  
Photo of J. Goodnough

J. Goodnough, Champ

• 266 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I'm sure you could get some beam clamps and attach the bracket to those if you wanted to it that way. Definitely mount under the I-beam, though, and keep your cabling far away from the fluorescent lights.
Photo of Kyle Freise

Kyle Freise

• 22 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Brian,

Does that hanging mount use a stainless braided cord?  It looks like a swing. ;)
Photo of Brian Ambler

Brian Ambler

• 245 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Hi Kyle,

Yes, the hanging mount uses a stainless wire cord that will have no problem supporting the AP's weight. 
Photo of J. Goodnough

J. Goodnough, Champ

• 266 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I'd much rather use beam clamps than steel braid; while I know the braid is plenty strong it seems a bit cheesy to me. Though I do see the use case where the beams/ceiling are extremely high and you'd want the APs much lower but for some reason can't use wall mounts - like a hangar or something I suppose.
Photo of Brian Ambler

Brian Ambler

• 245 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Agreed, both are likely valid solutions, though as the original question was surrounding the mounting options that were sold with the AP230s I figured I should point out that we do offer kits for different mounting options.
Photo of Kyle Freise

Kyle Freise

• 22 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I believe the best solution with beam clamps would be using the holes that are predrilled into the extra plastic mounting bracket.
Photo of Brian Ambler

Brian Ambler

• 245 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Glad to hear you have some ideas going forward Kyle. Obviously I only recommended what we sell because I had recalled there was such a bracket for hanging APs in that manner. Thinking on it, it sounds like that bracket might not make sense if you were mounting in a school environment, presumably where the APs are within reach of students (after all, you're right, it does look like a swing!). I'll pass the suggestion for such a mounting method onto our PLM team; obviously I can't promise anything, just thought it was a good idea that I should pass along.
Photo of Kyle Freise

Kyle Freise

• 22 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
This is what we have come up with so far:

Photo of lionpalm ent.

lionpalm ent.

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
hi there do have these for Cisco 3700 series?  THIS IS URGENT 
Photo of J. Goodnough

J. Goodnough, Champ

• 266 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
You should probably contact your Cisco reseller.
Photo of William Brett Craig

William Brett Craig

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I need that part number
Photo of Rob Pritchard

Rob Pritchard

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Is that just a piece of wood between the C-clamp and the mounting bracket?  We have a school with classrooms that don't have a drop ceiling but there are exposed beams and your solution may work out best for us.
Photo of Kyle Freise

Kyle Freise

• 22 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
No its spare track light bar metal.
Photo of Eric Rabuse

Eric Rabuse

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nice work 
Photo of Robet Wilkerson

Robet Wilkerson

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
Our Tech Mike has designed a filler mount that uses the standard mount that comes with the AP230 that can be 3D printed. These work with regular beam clamps. You can download the file from http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:888583