Most stable golden image for AP330/350?

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
I've heard that AP330s and AP350s are no longer supported in HiveOS releases after 6.5r6.  However, r7 and r8 have since come out and there is a version available for those models.  

Two questions:
1. 6.5r7 seems to be giving me fits similar to issues I was having with r5. At that time I downgraded to r4 and things went back to normal.  I want to go back to r4 but that version isn't available in HM and it's not available for download in the support portal.  How can I download previous versions of HiveOS?
2. If 330s and 350s are not supported in future releases, which version of HiveOS is recommended and best known for stability on that model?
Photo of Dan Ware

Dan Ware

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
The 802.11n portfolio of hardware (including AP330/350) will continue to get maintenance releases in the HiveOS 6.5rX branch. We do not intend to introduce new features in this branch of code, so the functionality present now (except for bug fixes) will persist.

I always recommend the latest release in the 6.5rX branch (today, that's 6.5r8) to anyone for hardware that is capable of running it, even if there is a higher version of code available. The higher versions will get new functionality, but may not be as stable as the golden branch. 

I expect some time in 2018 for the 8.x branch of code to reach the same quality and stability as the 6.5rX currently does, and at that point we will have two golden branches -- 6.5rX for 802.11n, and 8.x for 802.11ac.

What particular problems are you experiencing with version 6.5r5 thru r7 on your AP330/350s?
Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
I would also be interested in knowing what issues you are having. We have a lot (1600+) of AP330/350s on 6.5r7 and aren't having any issues.

Also, if you want to download previous versions, it is on the Support page. It's just not super obvious. On the Software Downloads page, you need to click the "Previous Software Updates" link to bring up the list. The link looks like it is a header with nothing under it. So it is a little deceptive.