Manual Site Survey using an AP350 - with no network connection, stand alone.

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Anyone know how to set an AP350 so that it doesn't fall back to radio shutdown when there is no network connection ? I want to perform a manual site survey for a customer warehouse but when the AP has not internet and just power it shuts down the ssid that I use. Paul
Photo of Paul Bowker

Paul Bowker

• 21 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Paul Levasseur

Paul Levasseur

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hello Paul,
This is an option that is disabled by default, but it appears that it is enabled.
You can go to your network policy, additional settings, and expand service settings.
There you will find track IP groups.
If you modify the track IP group, you will find an option to disable all active SSIDs if the track IP fails. Ensure this option is not checked, save, and update the configuration of your AP. The example is shown below.
Best regards,
Paul L.

Photo of Jason Hills

Jason Hills

• 78 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi
I have a similar problem where my ap330 with a static IP address looses the ssids when disconnecting from the network switch. Is the light changes to blue. As soon as I reconnect the ssids return with the white light.
The goal is to use for a stand alone survey AP powered by an injector.
I understand that I will have to set up local dhcp on the AP.
Is DNS also necessary?
Thanks
Jason
Photo of Brian Powers

Brian Powers, Champ

• 396 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Ensure that your channel is statically set and the radio is set to access and not dual/backhaul (as the radio will hop channels looking for a mesh backhaul link). I dont remember having to set much else on an Aerohive AP to get it to function powered by a battery when surveying with them. Unless they've made changes to how they act in the newer code.

I would expect the light to change though as that is an indication that the AP does not have access to its management platform.

If the Access Console settings use the same radio settings (AP channel and power which I assume they do), you could always just set up this and use this SSID for surveying as that SSID will broadcast when the AP loses its WAN connection.
Photo of Paul Bowker

Paul Bowker

• 21 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
What Paul L said above is the answer - when the access point losses network connectivity you can set it so that it broadcasts a console SSID which allows you to connect to it with Airmagnet or what ever you're using for your survey - check out the image above which show's how to set it.

Paul.
Photo of Lukas Lajos

Lukas Lajos

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi guys,

having same issue with AP350. Will need to do AirMagnet survey next week and can't get it working. AP was upgraded to 6.4r1 version but we couldn't get it working at all. We downgraded it to 6.2r1 and managed to get it working (green light) but when powered down and powered up again, it just stays in 'blue LED' colour mode and AirMagnet can see hidden SSID.
Checked settings above, no Track IP groups configured, radios in acces mode with manual power and channel settings.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Lukas
Photo of Lukas Lajos

Lukas Lajos

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
One more thing. Looks like it's OS related as we have AP120 for indoor surveys which was working fine with, I think it was 6.1r6 version but when upgraded to 6.2r1 I needed to plug a loopback into the PoE injector to get it working. Unfortunatelly, the same trick is not working for AP350 :(