MacBook: Health scores are all 100% but device can't reach any web sites

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
Greetings,

I could really use some troubleshooting suggestions.  I've got a user with a new MacBook that suddenly can't reach any websites even though Aerohive health scores are all 100%.  If I renew DHCP lease or switch SSID the device can briefly reach sites but then loses the ability again after a few seconds.  Any suggestions as to how I should try to track down the problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Photo of Steve Kellogg

Steve Kellogg

• 87 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of BJ

BJ, Champ

• 374 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
On Mac clients, hold down the option key and click on the wifi icon in the menu bar in top left of the screen. It will detail which band you're using, which AP you're connecting via the BSSID, the RSSI, transmit rate, etc. Since you're getting a high health score in HM, I would assume you're good at layer 2.

Next I would ask if there is any roaming being performed between APs. If you're connecting on 2.4 you may be running into some hidden node or sticky client issues.

If all that checks out, on to layer 3; run some ping tests, traceroutes. These can be performed from the terminal application.

If there are any more details you can add, it will help us help you. Good luck.      
Photo of Steve Kellogg

Steve Kellogg

• 87 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks very much for your helpful reply.  I'll follow your suggestions and write back.

Steve
Photo of Steve Kellogg

Steve Kellogg

• 87 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Sorry for the delay writing back.  This issue seems to be intermittent because some days went by without problems, but now I'm back to a MacBook that can connect and remain connected to an SSID and roam from one AP to another, but after a minute or so of proper network function it loses the ability to reach the internet, can't ping even its default gateway or Traceroute the gateway or anything else.  If I turn off WiFi and turn it back on I get about a minute of proper performance and then right back to nothing.  I'd be very grateful for any recommendations.

The issue seems to be confined to a couple of MacBooks - a Pro and an Air.

Thanks,

Steve
Photo of Gary Smith

Gary Smith, Official Rep

• 299 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Hi Steve,

Have you opened a support ticket for this issue?

At the time of an issue, you need to know what the AP is doing. Collect AP techdata and look for clues if possible.

Is the CPU high?
Are there errors in the buffer log?
Does the radio health look good?
Can the AP reach the internet?
Are all clients on the same AP affected or just some?
Both radios - 2.4GHz and 5GHz or just one?
Are you seeing the issue on the latest version of HiveOS? 8.2r1

What is providing the DHCP? :-)
 - Can you make sure there are no IP address conflicts on the clients?

Kind Regards,
Gary Smith
Photo of Steve Kellogg

Steve Kellogg

• 87 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks very much.  I'll gather the information and open a support ticket.   

Regarding DHCP, I'm using an Aerohive DHCP server and don't think there are conflicts.  I get a minute or two of use before losing all network access (apart from remaining connected to the AP with 100% client health score).  However, the MacBook does seem to be maintaining its full network connection on the SSID without client isolation (which is the only difference between SSIDs that I can see).

Thanks again,

Steve
Photo of Steve Kellogg

Steve Kellogg

• 87 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi, Gary,

Thanks for the reply.  Perhaps I've been misunderstanding something and I do see  log entries stating that an IP is in use and will become available after an elapsed time.  I had set up a DHCP server in Common Objects > DHCP Server and Relay and was then selecting it on multiple APs under Service Settings > DHCP Server and Relay >  Available Servers.  I had thought the AP's would be pulling available IPs from a scope and didn't think that they'd be independedntly assigning IPs without seeing if they were already I use.  Should I remove the server from all but one or two APs?   Clients can all send out DHCP request on the scope VLAN.

Thanks,

Steve
Photo of Steve Kellogg

Steve Kellogg

• 87 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Please pardon  my typos above - I was moving too fast.  -Steve
Photo of Gary Smith

Gary Smith, Official Rep

• 299 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Hi Steve,

"Should I remove the server from all but one or two APs?"

Yes, this would be a good practice. Have two AP's sharing a part of the scope each rather than the same scope.

For example;

AP1 - scope 192.168.0.1-100
AP2 - Scope 192.168.0.101-200

This would require that two DHCP server objects be created.

Let us know if this helps resolve the issue you have been seeing.

Kind Regards,
Gary Smith
Photo of Steve Kellogg

Steve Kellogg

• 87 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks - I appreciate the help.  I'll split up the scope between two DHCP server objects right now!

I had already removed it from all but two APs but still had them sharing a single scope.

Steve
Photo of Steve Kellogg

Steve Kellogg

• 87 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
It's odd that the MacBook can't maintain a connection (to the AP, yes, but no further on the network) on the SSID's with client isolation but has no trouble on the one that does not have client isolation.  That's the only difference I can find in the SSID configuration.  It's not a problem having the owner of the MacBook use the network with no client isolation but I'd like to get to the bottom of what's going on.

I wonder if I gain much in airtime using client isolation on the other two SSID's.  I've got a maximum of around 315 WiFi devices and usually around 280 or so.

Thanks again,

Steve