Lost connection to the Hive after firmware upgrade on AP230's

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
2 out of 10 AP's lost the connection to the hive online after a config push with the latest firmware.

I have tried almost every fix I could find on this forum including reset in the CLI and tried to set the capwap server and hive name manually. But they are still stuck on orange light.

The only thing I haven't tried is an manual firmware upgrade.

Any more tricks to try before that?

/Kalle
Photo of Kalle Karlsson

Kalle Karlsson

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Luke Harris

Luke Harris

• 265 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I've had this problem in the past as well, before you start filling out your RMA request. Have a look at this:-

First thing you are going to need to do is go to support.aerohive.com and log into the support portal, download the correct image for the AP and then follow the steps listed below.

1. Connect a physical console and setup a local tftp server
a. We can use TFTPd32. It’s a free TFTP server. Google “TFTPD32” it will be the first link
b. Download the March 7th 2011 standard version and install it
c. Once this is installed we will need to point it to the new image
d. Download the new image you are going to install on the AP
e. In the TFTPD program click browse and browse to the folder you saved the file
f. Click show DIR to make sure that the Image file is there and select copy

2. Now with the computer consoled into the AP have a putty session going and Reboot the AP and as soon as the prompt comes up hit enter to get into bootloader mode, password is administrator.

3. Type set_bootparam to configure device IP and boot image
a. if it’s DHCP leave it 0.0.0.0 for IP by hitting enter
b. The TFTP IP address is the IP address of the computer hosting the TFTPD program
C. Leave vlan ID and native VLAN at 0
d. now right click and paste in the image file name that you copied from the TFTP program.
e. hit enter at the next two prompts and then type Y to save

4. Now run this command at the prompt: image_flash
a. This will connect to the TFTP server on your computer it may take a few connections before it pulls the file
b. Make sure the file successfully copies over. There should be a message saying successful or progress completed.

5. Once the image is transferred over type in: reset
a. this will reset the AP and boot it on the new image.

Photo of Kalle Karlsson

Kalle Karlsson

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Big thanks to you Luke! White light and I'm happy again!

Only thing to add too that guide is, to connect both eth0 and eth1 before you start the image_flash
Photo of Mark Sundbom

Mark Sundbom

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I just went through a similar issue with a single AP230.
I was able to get to the AP GUI and I could ssh to it. Couldn't see the hive manager though. I upgraded the software and went through several setting changes and reboots. Finally, the Aerohive tech asked if I had hit the reset button on the device itself. Being 10 feet up on a wall, I had not. So I got a ladder and that solved my problem. Once the AP reset properly the hivemanager restored the configuration and I had my little white light back as well as a functioning AP. Sometimes that hard reset is all it takes.
Photo of Kalle Karlsson

Kalle Karlsson

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well that was a brief moment of joy. Orange light is back after two reboots and the firmware upgrade doesn't help. The RMA request is not far away now =)
Photo of Kalle Karlsson

Kalle Karlsson

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sorry, unclear description of what I did.

I pushed the AP to the correct  IP, DNS and Gateway thru the CLI so that was the paste is.

DNS lookup works on redirector.aerohive.com with the correct IP. (Works on the other AP's)

The reset button did not do a hard reset. I can still see the manual config when they turn back on again.

and "clear config" in CLI just returns it to the bootstrap?
Photo of Kalle Karlsson

Kalle Karlsson

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Update: So I tried without the PoE and went with an 12V adapter. connected it on the ETH1 and now it connects to the hive in minutes..

And then I tried with the ETH0. No connection to the hive.

Something is not set to normal with the ETH0 port.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Once an AP has booted, you have to press and continuously hold the reset button for at least 5 seconds to factory reset it, otherwise it will just reboot. I would hold it for longer.
(Edited)
Photo of Kalle Karlsson

Kalle Karlsson

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The AP did not factory reset

[board]: Reset-button pressed!
[board]: Pressed reset-button over 5 seconds, restore the default factory configuration!
******get GPIO interrppt from irq 117

Welcome to Aerohive Product

AP230_Sthlm_P4_Konf login:

As you can see it still remembers it's name and so on.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Are you sure it's not resetting?

You can also type:

_clear config all

... and then reboot.

If you left it for a little while, I suspect it may be pulling/restoring a broken configuration automatically from HiveManager via auto provisioning.

If so, that would suggest that there is something wrong in the configuration that gets pulled as an AP would have to be capable of getting access to HiveManager via IP settings acquired from DHCP first.

Like I said, you should contact your point of support for them to go through troubleshooting steps with you over the phone.
(Edited)