How do I set up temporary Wi-Fi for 200 iPADs in a GYM!!!

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
So we are starting our 1-1 roll out next week, and I am looking for advise on how to setup the temporary wireless for the day.

1) How many APs do you think I would need?
2) What should the radio profiles look like?
3) What other design considerations should I keep my eyes open for?

This will be our first big test of our shinny new Aerohive gear and I don't want it to fail me!

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Photo of Loren

Loren

• 48 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Bradley Chambers

Bradley Chambers, Champ

• 302 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Hi Loren,

Couple of things:

1. What do you expect clients to be doing on the iPads?
-Streaming video?
-App downloads?
-Just web browsing?
-Initial setup?

2. What model iPad? (2, mini, 4, etc?)

In terms of number of APs, it really depends on how big the room is (and the answer to the above question). Even with no walls, you'll have free space path loss to deal with.

Radio profile tips:

Clone the default NG and NA profiles. On your cloned profiles, turn on high density settings on both bands (under high density WLAN settings in the radio profile modify screen). Also, on the NG, turn on load balancing and balanced band use (under optimizing management traffic settings) (I'd do 60/40, but others might chime in with another opinion). Turn on load balance on NA as well. Anyone else want to chime in with some other tips here? There are also some different settings you can do on the channel width depending on the answer to #2.

RF note:
Remember that water causes attenuation in RF signal. Since humans are made up of a lot of water, the RF signal will behave differently with no one in there vs 200 people.

Good resources here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCZiQN...

http://blogs.aerohive.com/blog/wi-fi-...

http://www.aerohive.com/pdfs/Aerohive...

If you've got time, I'd really advise getting someone out quick with some site survey tools that can help you plan this.

Best of luck!
Photo of Loren

Loren

• 48 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hey thanks Bradly

We will be finalizing the setup of the iPads with the teachers and have them enroll the devices in the MDM (AirWatch). Then have them download a couple Apps each (20 - 30 MB per). After that is all done they will break out into smaller groups for different sessions. These sessions will then be spread out over the building so not to worried about client density.

The iPad are all 2s and the size of the GYM is 68' x 92'.

thanks

Bradley Chambers, Champ

• 302 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Loren,

Thanks. The iPad 2 can only do 20 mhz channel width, so def. leave it at that. In regards to number of APs, do you have cabling already in there (and power if no POE?) or are you just going to do temporary runs in the mean time. I guess what I am getting at is what do you plan for in the deployment process?

Obviously its not possible to change at this point, what kind of application model are you using (school owned, personal ownership, or layered ownership)?
Photo of Loren

Loren

• 48 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Bradley

None of the cableing is there, will all be temporay for the day. Running to the school this morning to see what I have to deal with.

Application Model:

All staff division owned iPads
Early years will be division owned 10 iPad pods per classroom.
Middle years 1:1 iPads
High School BYOD

Plus the usual laptops you would expect in this environment. Think the total iPad count is close to 3000!!!!!

And they want this all working by September!!!!

Bradley Chambers, Champ

• 302 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Wow. That's a lot of iPads.
Photo of Adam Conway

Adam Conway

• 101 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Hi Loren,
Good tips from Bradley, and here are a couple of more. The most you can get out of a channel with an iPad is about 25Mbps (this is an iPad limitation if they are battery powered, plugged in you can do better), so make sure you do the appropriate capacity planning. If you only need 150 total Mbps total or less, my recommendation is to do 3 APs with 50/50 band-steering on. If you need more than 150 Mbps, each AP you add will add another 30-40 Mbps and you should mobe to 40/60 bandsteering. Good luck with all of this.
Photo of Loren

Loren

• 48 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have attached a map of how I am thinking to mount the APs. These will be wall mounted somehow facing the users. I have one drop in the gym and I will be stealing a couple drops for the gym office to light up the other two APs. The stage will be setup in front of the ceter AP with tables around the outside for AP pickup.

thanks again guys
Photo of Adam Conway

Adam Conway

• 101 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
If that is where the drops are, then that is fine, but it would be best to put the middle AP across the gym. Not that it helps a whole lot in an open space but it will give folks on the other side of the gym a bit better link margin. Also, mount them as high as you can, people do a good job of absorbing WiFi.