led ap230 / 130

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
Hi guys!

Since the last firmware update, the AP230 and AP130 led status changed. The communication around this change of behaviour was really good (lot's of e-mails plus local AH SE explained it as well).

But still we get a lot of our resellers asking questions about this change. 'The leds stopped working, does my AP still work?', 'the roll-out is more difficult since we cannot see by eye if the AP is still working correctly, 'we have explained to our end users that if the led is white, the wi-fi is ok'. I know, not the proper way to communicate led status to end users, but it happens.

A feature request i would like to make, is in stead of turning the led's of for 56 seconds in a minute, turn them on all the time, but make the brightness 50 or even 25 percent.

Is this possible?

Cheers,
Sjoerd
Photo of Sjoerd de Jong

Sjoerd de Jong, Employee

• 97 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Hi Sjoerd,

While it may be technically possible in hardware to use Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to lower the brightness, the key concern is managing the duty cycle to the point that the LED isn't likely to be affected by fading during the deployment lifecycle. It is possible that this isn't achievable in the hardware too.

I have sent you a link to a discussion elsewhere that you may wish to reply to.

Cheers,

Nick
Photo of Volkan Bagci

Volkan Bagci

• 55 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Or blink every couple second instead of waiting 56 seconds. For one AP 56 seconds might feel long, while inspecting schools or other larger buildings it is f.... waste of time..
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
For the lurkers here, I can confirm that YES we have heard the complaints and yes I am working toward improving the situation as much as I can. 
Photo of Sjoerd de Jong

Sjoerd de Jong, Employee

• 97 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Great stuff Mike! Thanks :)
Photo of Volkan Bagci

Volkan Bagci

• 55 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Nick, hehe yea a little poor example there :P 
Photo of colin

colin

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Solving a manufactures defect with a firmware upgrade is what your doing , How can i set the unit to dim....
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Colin,
That's easy. Just ignore us, don't upgrade the HiveOS on your AP230, and wait a few months. It will dim on it's own.

There is no command available to you to adjust the intensity of illumination on these devices, the LED is either on or off.

Here's photos of a very early unit (with blue sticky-note) that has been running for about a year on my desk, next to a fresh-out-of-box unit.
Photo of Joe G Carroll

Joe G Carroll

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Updating our AP230s to 6.4r1g recently also caused confusion because of the change in LED behaviour. Is there any way to revert to the old behaviour?

The email announcing the firmware upgrade contained the following:
This HiveOS release will also include enhancements to the recently modified LED behavior on AP230/130 platforms. The white LED will now stay on for the first 24 hours it is powered on or after being rebooted. Please contact Aerohive Support for guidance or on the new LED behaviour.
However, we would prefer the LED to always be on and white when the unit is powered on and functioning normally. Is there currently a way to do this, or can we ask for such an option as a feature/improvement? I've found some related instructions on configuring LED behaviour elsewhere in this forum, but they don't seem to do quite what we want.
Photo of Matthew Rudkowski

Matthew Rudkowski

• 38 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
@Mike Kouri. Thank you for the prompt response. I am planning a new office with AP230s and will most certainly need these commands. 
Photo of intvlan1shut

intvlan1shut

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Just deployed my first batch of AP230s (92 of them) and was not aware of this little "disaster" until everyone e and their uncle started to complain to me that the wireless was going on and off all over the building. Obviously it wasn't but holy crap has it been an insane mess trying to explain the blinky light behavior to every user. Seriously, who thought it was a great idea to move to these LEDs etc such that this on and off system was needed and believed to be a good thing. I have over 500 AP330s deployed and nearly 200 AP370s and this is my first "rough" deployment of any Aerohive equipment.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Honestly, that to me does sound a bit dramatic and hyperbolic ;)
I've never seen most users pay that much attention to the LEDs, they just care that the wireless works when they get their device out where they want to use it.
Mike's comment above should help if it is that important to always have the LED lit.
(Edited)
Photo of Greg Sanders

Greg Sanders

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I agree. My users only care what the LED is doing or even what/where an access point is, if the wireless isn't working
Photo of Justin Fee

Justin Fee

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I have a better idea then having to issue a command to fix an issue that shouldn't be an issue in the first place. Its call "Recall" and sometimes is part of the manufacturing process.

Im glad AeroHive "FLUSHED OUT" its faulty inventory. To bad it was by selling them to customers who now have to deal with this. 

This is a minor issue to those of us on the network side of it but for the users all they know is the LED is not on so Wi-Fi must not be working. I don't know about everyone else but I get tired of fielding questions about this.
Photo of Smitty

Smitty

• 37 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I know everyone keeps talking about this LED issue on the AP230's...but has anybody had LED issues with their AP370's?  My original AP370's from before the AP230's coming out seem to be having the LED dimming issue as well.  My lab AP370 unit here is almost impossible to see at this point.
Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
I can confirm that this is an issue with my AP370s too. Amber still works fine, but white is pretty much dead.
Since we only have 10 AP370s, I'm not that concerned about it and haven't opened up a support case to address the issue.
Photo of Steven Feller

Steven Feller

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the information.