Latest firmware 6.6 for AP330 not available anymore?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago

We have approx 70 AP330 running - according to our Hivemanager -  HiveOS 6.6r2a Irvine.2309.

1 AP has been replaced, and indicates it running HiveOS 6.5r4 Honolulu.-128121  

I wanted to upgrade this one AP to what seemed to be the most recent version, but release 6.6r2a... is not available ?!: I cannot find it in the mamanger's repository, and also I cannot find or download it from the Aerohive support website?  The most recent AP 330 version I can download is indeed 6.5r4 ?

So how come 69 AP's are running an unknown OS ? :)

Photo of Tim De Meyer

Tim De Meyer

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Tim Belfield

Tim Belfield

• 15 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I noticed that also. I just moved my AP330 back to HiveOS 6.5r4. I do not notice any differences.
Photo of Carsten Buchenau

Carsten Buchenau, Champ

• 356 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
HiveOS 6.5 is the "golden release" train, and 6.5r4 the latest and most stable. It includes all recent bug fixes.

As to my knowledge: 6.6 and 6.8 mostly contain advanced & optimized support for BRs, Switches and all newer AP models (802.11ac platforms), and running one of those on an AP330 wouldn't make any difference. Thus the best choice for AP330/350/121/141 is 6.5r4.

To be more precise:
- 6.5: Golden release for all models
- 6.6: Feature release for Branch Routers and Switches
- 6.8: Feature release for AP130, AP230 and AP1130
- 7.0: Feature release for AP250 and AP245x

Eventually they will be merged into 7.1.

Be aware that 6.5r4 introduces a new configuration setting (Enable/disable 802.11h, Client Transmit Power Control, disabled by default in 6.5r4). Therefore, to be able to change this settings via Hivemanager, you must run at least Hivemanager 6.8r2.

Carsten Buchenau, Champ

• 356 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
On HM6 it is per SSID, under Advanced / WMM, setting "Enable unscheduled automatic power save delivery".

It has been causing issues with some client devices that have this not implemented very well. Mainly MacOS...
Photo of mr bee

mr bee

• 77 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks ! I have found the setting. We have deployed 6.5r4 recently but this setting is enabled instead of disabled like you said ?

Carsten Buchenau, Champ

• 356 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
With HM6 or NG? To my knowledge it should be enabled by default on NG (might have changed with the latest update) and disabled by default on HM6.

I had a case with BR100 as AP on 6.5r3 where this feature was enabled by default (even though not yet configurable through Hivemanager), so we had to upgrade the BR100's to 6.5r4 which disabled the setting by default. And all MacOS and iOS users were happy again.
Photo of mr bee

mr bee

• 77 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We are using on prem HM 6.8r3.
Photo of mr bee

mr bee

• 77 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Only macOS clients encounter problems or also iOS ?
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Carsten's answer is best. Basically, I goofed and let the HiveOS 6.6 release include hardware that was not intended to run that version of code. It also introduced some other issues that I won't disclose, and once I was finally made aware of what I had done, we withdrew the HiveOS 6.6 images for these platforms.

There are not many differences in functionality between HiveOS 6.5 on AP330 and HiveOS 6.6 on AP330, the most notable being that 6.6 supports VLAN pooling. I have intentions to retro-fit that to a future HiveOS 6.5 maintenance release.
Photo of Tim De Meyer

Tim De Meyer

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
OK thanks for the info. Leaving the 330 on the 'unofficial 6.6' firmware can't do any harm? I really don't want to downgrade 70 AP's :(
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Shouldn't be any harm from running HiveOS 6.6 on AP330, the main drawback to that approach is that if you do encounter a problem, call support, and they confirm its a bug in our code, then you'll only get the bug-fix on a HiveOS 6.5 release.
Photo of cabrower

cabrower

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Is it still possible to get 6.6r1 for the AP 330s? I would like to use the ppsk/Mac unbinding feature which is not available in 6.5.