Last three AP 250's added to our HiveManager NG portal fail to update the portal despite showing a connection to the capwap server.

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
I was going through the normal steps of adding an AP250 to the HiveManager NG portal. After the light on the AP turned white, I expected the HiveManager to show the device online and then update the default HOSTNAME and zero'd out MAC address to what is actually configured on the AP. Long after this should have taken place, nothing had happened. I connected to the console of the AP and entered the 'show capwap client' command and here is the output.
AH-6c4780#show capwap client
CAPWAP client:   Enabled
CAPWAP transport mode:  UDP
RUN state: Connected securely to the CAPWAP server
CAPWAP client IP:        10.5.1.76
CAPWAP server IP:        52.54.13.31
HiveManager Primary Name:hmng-prd-va-cwps-11.aerohive.com
HiveManager Backup Name: hmng-prd-va-cwpm-01.aerohive.com
CAPWAP Default Server Name: redirector.aerohive.com
Virtual HiveManager Name:
Server destination Port: 12222
CAPWAP send event:       Enabled
CAPWAP DTLS state:       Enabled
CAPWAP DTLS negotiation: Enabled
     DTLS next connect status:   Enable
     DTLS always accept bootstrap passphrase: Enabled
     DTLS session status: Connected
     DTLS key type: passphrase
     DTLS session cut interval:     5 seconds
     DTLS handshake wait interval: 60 seconds
     DTLS Max retry count:          3
     DTLS authorize failed:         0
     DTLS reconnect count:          0
Discovery interval:      5 seconds
Heartbeat interval:     30 seconds
Max discovery interval: 10 seconds
Neighbor dead interval:105 seconds
Silent interval:        15 seconds
Wait join interval:     60 seconds
Discovery count:         0
Max discovery count:     3
Retransmit count:        0
Max retransmit count:    2
Primary server tries:    0
Backup server tries:     0
Keepalives lost/sent:    1/35
Event packet drop due to buffer shortage: 0
Event packet drop due to loss connection: 263 
AH-6c4780#

After searching online for troubleshooting ideas, I figured maybe it was just the AP. I tried two more AP's (our last two that aren't in the HiveManager portal) and got the exact same results. None of the other 100+ AP's already in our portal are having problems syncing up with the HiveManager. I've connected the AP to different networks (our local LAN and our cellular based VPN networks) and all give the same results. I'm at a loss of what could be causing this or what to try in order to identify the problem.

Anyone run into this before or have suggestions on what to try?
Photo of Gnaglor

Gnaglor

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of BJ

BJ, Champ

• 374 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Are you licensed for the correct number of APs? Have you manually added the serial numbers of the devices you're adding to NG?

Photo of Gnaglor

Gnaglor

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the suggestion. We do have the correct number of AP licenses available and I have always manually added the serial numbers to HiveManagerNG.

After getting help from Aerohive support, they were able to determine the problem was that even though capwap shows a connection, it hadn't pulled down our VHM (Virtual Hive Manager) name. You can see in the log I posted where there is just blank space. They had me manually configure the name after which (5-10 minutes) the device synced up with HiveManagerNG and the configuration updates were pushed to the device.

As a test for the other two APs, I left one powered on when I left for work to see if it was a matter of time needed to pull the VHM down automatically. When I came in to work this morning, it was already synced up with the HiveMangerNG, but I do not know how long this actually took. When I tried the final AP, it synced with the HiveManagerNG within the time frame all the previous devices had before experiencing this issue (1-3 minutes).

Long story short; it seems, at least for the last two APs, that it was a matter of waiting much longer than normal for the devices to automatically get the information they needed to fully sync with the HiveManagerNG, long enough that made it seem like something was wrong outside of being extremely patient.