Juniper SRX220 vs AEROHIVE

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
I have a Juniper SRX220 and my AP's are connected to a cloud controller, the AP's are going up and down all the time in the controller. what can be wrong?
Photo of Henry Madsen Jensen

Henry Madsen Jensen

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Jonathan Hurtt

Jonathan Hurtt

• 98 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
Henry,

Will need a little more information to assist. When you say going up and down, is this a power cycle or network connectivity issue? 

If its power, I would ask, how many Access Points do you have connected and what model SRX220 do you have? Want to make the device has a large enough PoE Budget to handle the # of APs.  I see via the publicly available Datasheets that the SRX220 has two models SRX220H-POE and SRX220H2-POE.  The SRX220H2-POE model only has PoE Budget for 50W (Source: http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/concept/poe-srx220-2g-overvie...) while the SRX220H-POE has 120W of PoE Budget (Source: http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/concept/poe-srx220-overview.h...). Depending on the AP's PoE Requirements (802.3af or 802.3at), this could be the reason your Access Points are losing power and rebooting (or going up and down).

If it is network connectivity, it could be a misconfiguration in the network policy that you are providing a incomplete or configuration that is not compatible with your network configuration (DNS, VLAN or IP Address mismatch). This could be identified through HiveManager. If the device's configuration audit comes back with "config rollback enabled" then it most likely the AP is losing the ability to communicate with HiveManager and rolling back to previous configuration. Below is an example of a device that rolled back its configuration after an misconfiguration of the mgt0 interface. 

Can you provide a little more information of what you are seeing so we can assist. 

Thanks and good luck
Photo of Henry Madsen Jensen

Henry Madsen Jensen

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The AP's get their power from a switch, so PoE is not an issue, when i click the Audit button this text appears

config rollback enable
config rollback capwap-disconnect
user-profile Elever schedule Dagligt
capwap client neighbor heartbeat interval 120
capwap client server name 46.32.60.173 no-disconnect
capwap client server backup name cloudtrack.dk no-disconnect

is it a port/firewall issue?
Photo of Jonathan Hurtt

Jonathan Hurtt

• 98 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
For the Power, i was alluding to the switch not having enough PoE Budget to power several APs (which could be a real concern for SRX220H2-POE with only 50 W of PoE Budget which is enough for 2-3 Access Points depending on PoE or PoE+). 

But It does seem like the devices are rolling back on their configuration due to loss of capwap connection. I would look into your firewall AND content or web filters that might also block or drop traffic. It looks like you have UDP port 12222 open, so i am suspecting that it is something like an IDS or Content/Web Filter dropping traffic.