I've purchased a used AP340 from ebay, how do I get it going in my home?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Photo of Valery Durbaylov

Valery Durbaylov

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Andrew MacTaggart

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
You should contact support, I would imagine you would need to transfer the license and or ownership to your own HMOL account.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
You don't mention your background. How technical and grounded in computer networking are you? If you are a home user, you should be mindful that this product is targeted at business / enterprise class deployments.

Valery Durbaylov

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well... NOW I know, I just wanted to get some industrial grade wifi for my home cos was tired of cheap routers I had. And now I am stuck with a great product wich I can not setup. Can someone pls give me contact details of support that can help me?
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
You will need a HiveManager Online (HMOL) licence to manage the access point that you will need to purchase from Aerohive directly or a reseller of theirs. (If you are based outside the USA, you will need to engage a reseller.) You can research this online via a search engine.

Valery Durbaylov

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Outside of US. And I googled for like 3 hours trying to find someone to help. I wrote a letter on global website but still had no response. So I kinda hope here I can get someone to contact.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Are you in a country where there is a reseller?

Valery Durbaylov

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am in a counrty where (and I am sure) I am the only one who had heard about aerohive - Belarus.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
You can configure the access point via the command line over SSH without HiveManager, the graphical user interface, but be prepared to do some experimentation, learning and for some frustration!

It is documented only via:

http://www.aerohive.com/330000/docs/h...

Scroll to the bottom and read the section entitled:
"Accessing and Using the CLI"

Drop me an email and I will see if I can help. I think you are going to struggle to engage official channels here.

Valery Durbaylov

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've sent you an email. pls write here if you didn't get it.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
I have replied to you.

Update: Valery's setup issue has been resolved.
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Good job, Nick, thanks for helping out!
Photo of Gregor Vucajnk

Gregor Vucajnk, Official Rep

• 74 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Thanks for Helping with this Nick!

Gregor
Photo of Simon W

Simon W

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm considering buying some Aerohive gear and was asking about resale if we have to change to a different system in the future - told they do not support any gear that way not bought directly from them.  Although I was specifically asking (and worried) about resale I assume he was trying to push me away considering buying used gear.  It wasn't clear if "don't support" means the same as "won't license".  Personally I probably don't need any support, I'd just want the UI to work.  I've also seen some gear on eBay that says it comes with a license.  
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
It does mean "won't license" if it's not sourced from an authorised/official source.
Photo of Simon W

Simon W

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
So how about third parties reselling their products and services?  I came across this company http://www.aerohiveworks.com/ that seems to want to sell support licenses and all you need to do is provide a serial number?  I would assume that all Aerohive equipment was at one time purchased from an authorised/official source - are they tracking every sale to ensure eBay (etc.) gear is never supported again?  As I said, I'm not looking to buy used gear myself, I just need to be sure I'm not getting my company into buying thousands of $$$ of gear that cannot be resold just like we would sell other hardware if it was necessary.  If APs were $100 each no one would care, but $800 and up each, it's a different matter :-)
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
HiveManager plus support licenses can only be used when the APs are with original purchaser and, typically, when coverage has been continuous. They cannot be transferred.

You cannot today resell APs therefore.

See:

https://community.aerohive.com/aerohive/topics/transfer-aps-from-one-account-to-another
Photo of Jon

Jon

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nick, is it true now that devices can be transferred for a $75 fee? (See Robert Clark's post below)
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Hi Jon,

Sorry to pass the buck, but you would need to talk to Aerohive or your reseller to see what's now possible.

Nick
(Edited)
Photo of Robert Clark

Robert Clark

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Aerohive now supports the use of previously owned equipment with hivemanager online. You have to pay a $75 fee per device to get it transferred to your ownership and at that point you can pay the yearly maintenance fee (which doesn't cover hardware replacement, but everything else).

From there you are good to go.
Photo of Robert Clark

Robert Clark

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
also, the $75 fee is a one time per device charge just for them to get it moved over to your ownership in their system. You have to provide the Serial number of the device and sign a form, but it is very simple to do.
Photo of Jon

Jon

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Mike, I am not in contact with any Aerohive resellers. Can I get an Aerohive answer for this? 
Photo of Jon

Jon

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Mike, this is a simple question to AeroHive.
Can equipment now be transferred or not?
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Jon,

This forum is for casual, best effort support - largely community driven. Have you approached Aerohive directly via an official channel seeking more information on this?

Regards,

Nick
Photo of Jon

Jon

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nick, keeping details about resale of the equipment in non-public channels would require potential buyers to also contact Aerohive support, and is not helpful.  Aerohive representatives have already posted here, so there is no reason they couldn't clearly provide the answer here in this method.
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Jon,
Yes, in at least some geographies you can transfer ownership of used equipment and still receive support. Aerohive is not a single monolithic enterprise worldwide, we have wholly-owned subsidiaries in different regulatory regions and the rules are not the same in all geographies.

I am not in sales and did not have any involvement in this process, I am the product manager responsible for HiveOS software development. I cannot tell you the specific rules or regions this is applicable.

You should contact an Aerohive reseller or Aerohive sales office near you to find out if you can take advantage of this program or not.
Photo of Robert Clark

Robert Clark

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
hey does anyone have access to the ap340 latest stable firmware? i'm on hiveos 4.0r1a currently and experiencing issues with them.