It is not possible to add the IP pool because the number of addresses cannot exceed 512.

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
Hi all,

It looks like the limitation of a DHCP IP pool within an AP cannot exceede 512. Is there any reason for that ? We could reduce our leases but we have seen high usage at the same time so it would make no difference...

I tried to add a second DHCP IP pool on the same range but again, HiveManager doesn't let me do that.

We would like to use a smaller network mask, like 21 or 22, but if there is no way to increase the DHCP IP pool, it would make no sense. Ideally, we would like to use AP for that and not a DHCP relay (Which could probably handle more IP addresses, for sure). The SSID would be for the BYOD network of 15 different sites. We're using the same private IP range for Internet access only, it would be a mess if we had to deal with DHCP relay.

Any suggestion other than "Creating a new SSID" or "Use relay instead" ?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Fabien
Photo of Fabien Gaille

Fabien Gaille

• 45 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Michael

Michael

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
500 hosts is beyond the recommended limit for an Ethernet segment because of communications overhead.  I imagine the number to be much lower on a wireless network because communication is half-duplex and generally a much slower data rate.
I would suggest segmenting your network further to reduce collision and broadcast domains and reducing lease times if this is for quest access.
Photo of Fabien Gaille

Fabien Gaille

• 44 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks a lot Michael,

We reduced the lease time, it may help for sure. Regarding the collision and broadcast domain, you're right, but for a BYOD SSID, our goal is to let users connect and have Internet connection for basic stuff. I mean, our only limitation is the ability to distribute IP addresses :( It should be on our hands to chose.

Cheers,
Fabien
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2476 Posts
  • 447 Reply Likes
Hi Fabien,

This is an intentional limit seeking to try to avoid a Layer 2 broadcast domain containing more active clients than a /23. If you really want to go over this, which we do not recommend, please use a third-party DHCP server.

Thanks,

Nick
Photo of Fabien Gaille

Fabien Gaille

• 45 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Nick,

Thank you for your reply and for your time. I guess we'll use a /23 instead so.

Cheers,
Fabien