Issues connecting a AP330 to a HWOL, they appear in Hive Manager but can't be configured

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Hi all,
I had some issues connecting some AP330's to a HWOL, they appear in Hive Manager but can't be configured.
First I had to log on via the console and change the server name to the correct server
capwap client server name 
save config 
no capwap client enable 
capwap client enable
Then they were online, but could not be configured
Error attached:

I fixed it by connecting again via the console, and changing the transport from UDP to HTTP as advised in another post:
capwap client transport http
capwap client server port 80
This allowed the config to get uploaded and the AP rebooted successfully and appears as normal in HMOL.

I note though, that when using the capwap client commands, I get 
Event packet drop due to loss connection: 354 
or some other large number. Should I be concerned about this?
Another post I saw suggested that the core network switches might need to be 10G to support the traffic from the APs, surely not? We have 4 SR2024 and 30 odd AP330's connected by a mix of 10/100/fibre links.
Should I be looking at the network links between switches?
Photo of Malcolm Snelgrove

Malcolm Snelgrove

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Brian Powers

Brian Powers, Champ

• 391 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes

I've seen this a few times and from what I've been able to discover is that that error is related to an AP not being able to establish an SSH tunnel outbound (which is used for the configuration of gear if I'm not mistaken).  That error I believe is stating that the AP is failing at copying its configuration via SCP to that server.  I’d look into your content filter and/or firewall for any logs related to the APs IP/MAC to see if anything sticks out.

One quick test would be to try to SSH client/proxy to one of these pieces of gear from your HMOL.  If it is related to SSH failing, this should also fail.  

Photo of Malcolm Snelgrove

Malcolm Snelgrove

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks Brian, you were right, it was SSH being filtered out by a firewall.