Issue with Samsung SM-T280 connection to AP121 compared to an LG-V400 with no issue

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
Can anyone confirm why the Samsung model has issues with connection to AP121 compared to an LG model which has no issues? 

LG SPEC - WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, dual-band, hotspot, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA
SAMSUNG SPEC - WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, WiFi Direct, hotspot

Thanks
Photo of Liam Mainwaring

Liam Mainwaring

  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

  • 1
Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

  • 972 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
Are you testing with a single access point or in an area with coverage from multiple access points?

Have you run a Client Monitor capture for both phones?  Is the Samsung attempting to associate to another access point in the middle of the original authentication process?

Do you have a single mandatory (basic) data rate; either 6, 12 or 24 Mbps; with all other data rates set to optional?

Have you enabled load balancing or any other high density settings?
Photo of Liam Mainwaring

Liam Mainwaring

  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Site has multiple APs to cover all floors and rooms. 
I am not aware of 'Client Monitoring' unfortunately but this interests me.
I don't see the mac address of the Samsung show up on any other APs during the time it struggles with connection.
Unfortunately I don't understand 'data rates' or any other settings you refer to.

What I can tell you is we tested an LG device which has a radio module Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, dual-band and the Samsung which has Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n.
During the process we moved from the one area to another and seen the device roam on the hive, the Lg worked fine but the Samsung signal level struggled and sometimes lost connection.
I was thinking it was to do with the Samsung radio rather than the WiFi network and how it's set up?

This test has been run before in other buildings with the same results. 

I look forward to hearing you, 
Many thanks!
Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

  • 972 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
The first steps I would do are as follows:

1.  Configure the SSID data rates.  Go into the profile of the SSID the smartphones are connecting to and change the data rates to the ones recommended above.  If you have the default data rates enabled (Mandatory (Basic) 1, 2, 5, 11 Mbps and all others optional) then clients will be reluctant to roam from one AP to another.



2.  Once you have pushed the new data rates go to Client Monitor (Tools -> Client Monitor), add the MAC address of the Samsung smartphone) and test the Samsung roaming.  Remember to enable the "Filter Probe" option.  I suspect that the Samsung won't even look at the other access point.   

(Edited)