Is there an altenative for using AP100 as GRE endpoint?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
Hi,

We have approx 70 AP's where we have 1 of the SSID's using a GRE tunnel through the firewall to an AP110. (and from there on connected to a captive portal, providing our guests with free internet).

On the AP110 radio's are switched off, so the AP is basically only used as GRE endpoint.

This solution has worked fine for the past 5 yrs.

I suppose support for the AP110 will end in the very near future (as I see it's no longer supported in e.g. hivemanager NG), so I was wondering if there is a - cheaper - alternative to using an AP as simple endpoint?  

Tim
Photo of Tim De Meyer

Tim De Meyer

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
HiveManager-NG is targeted at our newer customers, so we won't be adding support there for the older AP hardware that is out of production (we stopped selling AP110 in July 2014). However, we will continue to support the AP110 on HiveManager classic and with the HiveOS 6.5 branch of code until July 2019. 

If things are not broken for you, don't fix it. If you are worried about the long term support and/or are considering moving to HiveManager NG then you may want to look at one of our newer APs to replace that AP110. Almost anything in our current hardware portfolio will have a faster more powerful CPU and be a better tunnel terminator. It doesn't sound like you need the power of a dedicated product like our CVG appliance.
Photo of Tim De Meyer

Tim De Meyer

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
OK, thanks for the info. (glad I'm "safe" until 07/19 :) )