ipv4 mdns reply not transmitted on AP320?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
On AP-320 with HiveOS 6.1r6.1779 I see mdns reply arriving on eth0 ( via remote Wireshark ).  But reply 'often' does not reach the wifi client. 

Toggling 'ssid <ssid-name> multicast conversion-to-multicast' from auto to always to disable doesn't seem to influence behaviour.
In buildings with all AP-230 mdns reply seems to work perfect.

A good suggestion for a Wireshark capture or display filter might help me to confirm if the mdns reply is or is not transmitted on wifi0 or wifi1 interface.

pcapng measured on eth0 at an AP320:
https://cloud.uza.be/public.php?service=files&t=9132ee83f85d34975061863e1a4b3f23
Photo of Leo Bistmans

Leo Bistmans

• 13 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Are you making use of the Bonjour Gateway?
Photo of Leo Bistmans

Leo Bistmans

• 13 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
No, I suppose not?  Would I know if I would? ;-)

mdns response is generated by nodejs script:
http://npm.taobao.org/package/mdns-proxy
(Edited)
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Can you check then if the configuration on the device contains "no bonjour-gateway enable"?
Photo of Leo Bistmans

Leo Bistmans

• 13 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
how bonjour-gateway status
Note: bonjour client only learning/registering aerohive special services
Running as bonjour client
Bonjour Gateway Status:Disabled
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Sadly, I do not have access to an AP320 to test/replicate with and can only go back as far as an AP330.

Have you considered opening a support case on the behaviour that you are observing?

In the case that this is an issue that has been resolved already in shared code, the AP320 should be getting HiveOS 6.5rX branched code at some point in the not too distant future.
(Edited)
Photo of Leo Bistmans

Leo Bistmans

• 13 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Unfortunately as a non-US customer I cannot use Aerohive's web-support, but have to pass via a local reseller.  
2 weeks and waiting after getting a case number from them, I wonder if it is submitted to Aerohive's UK support or not...
Photo of Robert Fakes

Robert Fakes

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Leo did you ever make any progress with this? I am a UK customer and I am also experiencing similar MDNS issues. I'm hoping you have as I have been battling this issue for weeks now.
Photo of Leo Bistmans

Leo Bistmans

• 13 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hey, you guys reached the point I documented 3 months ago! =|-]
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
I seem to remember there being an issue with the AP230s where multicast would get sent out at the wrong data rate. Are you observing what's sent in the air or what the client receives? I wonder if that affected other devices too - there could easily be an unrelated bug here. In any case, I suggest waiting out 6.5r3 and 6.6r2.
(Edited)
Photo of Leo Bistmans

Leo Bistmans

• 13 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
"HiveOS 6.5r3 Honolulu.2530" seems to have cured the multicast dns trouble for our ipads.   Lowering cpu load to round 50% by disabling dynamic airtime scheduling might have helped our ap-320's to cope.

Still waiting for 6.6r2 on AP230, fingers crossed :p
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
6.6r2 is already here. It's a HM-NG only release and is older than 6.5r3.
Photo of Robert Fakes

Robert Fakes

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
6.6r1b is running on our AP130 running as the BGW and we moved our MGT VLAN to a network that did not have lots of bonjour traffic on it (as suggested by support). We also specify which VLANs to scan, and which to advertise to. All has been much better since all of the above!