iPod touch 6gen 802.11ac, Channel width 40 or 80mhz?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I'm trying to design a high density wireless networks with iPod touch generation 6 devices.  They support 802.11ac however I can't determine fi they support 80mhz channels.

Does any one know?

Photo of Daniel Grisinger

Daniel Grisinger

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2487 Posts
  • 449 Reply Likes
If you're designing for high density, you're definitely not going to want to use 80 MHz channels regardless and may even want to look at using 20 MHz for 5 GHz rather than 40 MHz.

Of bigger concern is going to be which DFS channels the devices you intend to offer service for support and how that intersects with what you offer by way of overlapping coverage in 5 GHz.
Photo of Daniel Grisinger

Daniel Grisinger

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Nick

Thanks for you thoughts.  Maybe I have miss used the term high density.

The project is to deliver a wifi network for an Expo in large convention centre environments to support their production ticketing system.  A small expo is 70mx70m and ~100 iPods stationary on exhibitor desks to scan customer tickets. iPods push small updates to a server onsite in realtime showing # of customers in the hall etc.  At worst a complete sync maybe required which is 3MB to each device from the server. 

So rather than high density it is more a challenging environment with so much interference that 2.4 is useless.  Exhibitors provide hotspots, a thousand members of the public, expo's wifi and the list goes on congesting airtime.

I've followed the high density design guide with -70dbm predictive survey.  It did suggest 20Mhz channels too. 

Since my post I have worked out that the ipods do support 80Mhz however the question is will I get best performance.  I've performed an active survey onsite with a couple AP's and iPods determining when signal strength to the iPod drop below -70dbm. 

My real challenge is the convention centre with no structured cabling!!  Bit backwards in Perth Australia :-)

Again, thanks for your thoughts.   

Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 968 Posts
  • 270 Reply Likes
On this side of the Tasman we just thought it was just a general Australian thing :-)

Seriously though, I agree with Nick that 20 MHz wide channels are the way to go.   For the open plan areas directional antennas (watch the antenna bandwidth and side lobes) at height to reduce the cell size and for seated areas mount the access points and antennas in a protective enclosure under the seats.  Omni-directional and dipole antennas are the enemy.  Poor or non-existent cabling is going to be an issue. 

I would avoid DFS channels as too many wireless clients don't support them or have performance issues with them (unless you are going to issue iPods to all visitors).

Good luck on Monday morning against the Argentinians :-)