Intermittent loss of ip connectivity

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
We have Aerohive 330 access points in all of our dorms. Up until recently, we only had 1 SSID broadcasting on them with all rates below 11Mbps on the 2.4Ghz radio disabled. Right after spring break we enabled a second SSID called 'gaming' for the primary purpose of allowing the Nintendo Wii to connect to our network. In our experience, the Wii will only connect if 1Mbps is enabled on the 2.4Ghz radio. After enabling the gaming SSID, we started receiving calls about wireless problems in the dorms connecting to the orginal SSID. The complaints weren't that they couldn't connect, but that they would intermittently lose their connection. One of my techs actually experienced it one time. From his perspective, he was still connected to the wireless network, but he couldn't access any network services and his network tray icon said there was limited access. I could no longer ping him from the core, but I could ping the access point. I ssh'd into the access point and the access point was showing the client as connected. In our troubleshooting over the last couple of weeks, the issue was so intermittent that we only experienced this a couple of times ourselves, but it was happening to students across all dorms. We eventually had to remove the gaming network from the access points. I know this is a long shot, but does any of this ring a bell with anyone?
Photo of Van Jones

Van Jones

• 75 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Have you verified what rates are being offered before and after on the original SSID?
What software are the APs running? Up-to-date?
Have you tried installing the latest OEM drivers for an affected client (Atheros, Intel, Broadcom, Realtek etc.) and attempting to reproduce? Is it just one manufacturer?
Can you correlate Wiis actually being on the network to the fault occurring in a location?

(In many other educational environments, they've taken the blunt approach that if it doesn't support WPA2-Enterprise (802.1X) and at least OFDM g-rates, it's not going on the network.)
Photo of Bradley Chambers

Bradley Chambers, Champ

• 302 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
What firmware are your APs running?

Can you do a client monitor on one of the affected machines and grab the logs and post them here?
Photo of Van Jones

Van Jones

• 75 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
We are running 5.1r4 on all access points. It doesn't seem to be limited to one client type. One of the problems is that we can't figure out how to reproduce the issue. If we do figure that out, I will grab the logs for you.

We had to remove the gaming network in order to get the students through final exams. I can put it back in one dorm as a test bed before the summer sessions start. My wireless tech is in training this week. Hopefully his new found knowledge will help us track down this issue.

Bradley Chambers, Champ

• 302 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
These type problems will drive you nuts, no doubt. I had a similar issue recently where a brand new MacBook Air would never connect to DHCP. The client logs showed me that it was never asking. A few keychain and preference files later, I had it fixed. The client monitor will be an invaluable tool here.

5.1r5 and 6.0r2a are both available if you want to upgrade the firmware on the APs. If you are running HiveManager Online, all it takes is opening a support ticket to be upgraded. Keep us posted on what happens and feel free to reach out to your local systems engineer for further assistance as well.
Photo of Brian L'Heureux

Brian L'Heureux

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Are the SSIDs on different VLANs? We ran into a similar issue with Cisco 2950 switches on the backhaul network. There was some type of interaction that would prevent DHCP traffic from passing to the client very intermittently. The main symptom was loss of connectivity, usually when clients (though not necessarily people) decided to roam. When we upgraded the switches to 2960s the issues disappeared.

Bradley Chambers, Champ

• 302 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Random thing, is this is a wii or a wii u?

Saw this article via @revolutionwifi on Twitter

http://techvangelist.net/real-world-t...
Photo of Vernon Montford

Vernon Montford

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This is a late response, but I had a similar issue today when I changed our public SSID. With the 1mb rate as optional or NA the Wii would not connect and with the 1mb rate as basic the Wii's connect fine. The Wii's all connect at much faster speeds than 1mb.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
The Wii's require the legacy 802.11 (pre 802.11b!) basic rates to be offered to associate. For performance reasons, you are best leaving the 802.11b data rates disabled and to say the Wiis are faulty, which they are, and cannot connect. (Otherwise other clients will grab the legacy rates at long distances and consume lots of air time.)