How do you setup load balancing on two Aerohive AP330s

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
I have two AP330 within 20 feet of each other with about 70 clients. Most clients tend to connect to only one AP rather than even connectivity between the two APs. What's the procedure for load balancing between two Aps?
Photo of Parham Sadegh

Parham Sadegh

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Brian Powers

Brian Powers, Champ

• 396 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
The two APs in question here would need a radio profile that has load balancing turned on. 

Under configuration, expand the left Nav window.  Toward the bottom is Radio Profiles.  From within a radio profile, under Optimizing Management Traffic Settings, you can enable/disable and customize how load balancing works.

Be careful, as I recommend against enabling load balancing site wide.  I'd clone your existing radio profile and just enable load balancing and assign this new profile to these two APs.
Photo of wombat

wombat

• 62 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Brian, why would you not recommend enabling load balancing site wide, particularly if it is a high density deployment?
Photo of Brian Powers

Brian Powers, Champ

• 396 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Personally for me, there are still to many unknowns and I dont know if there are any fail safes built into the algorithms that control the load balancing as a whole.

Imagine if you will a large auditorium with 2-3 APs.  Regardless which AP the system "load balances" you to, your signal should be strong as its an open area with little to no obstructions.  Load balancing should work just fine.

Now take a different scenario and say you have a long hall with classrooms on both sides.  Are there any fail safes that would stop the load balancing from moving a user in classroom 1, all the way down to the AP in classroom 4 if the AP in classroom 1 is overloaded?  This would potentially put that same user in a situation where his RSSI/SNR is so poor it would kick off its client roaming algorithm a repeat of the initial process.

I'm sure there are some checks and balances that help mitigate this and other possible problems that could arise with load balancing, but I don't believe that load balancing is mandated by any 802 standards (outside 802.11k which is more assisted roaming and seems completely separate from the load balancing from within the radio profiles).

I just haven't had the time or resources to test load balancing in a site wide environment. 

This is just my personal opinion and I'm sure others here and elsewhere have different ones...
Photo of J. Goodnough

J. Goodnough, Champ

• 266 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
other good info on load balancing can be found here https://community.aerohive.com/aerohive/topics/load_balancing_questions