how to setup AP 370 for home use

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
how do I setup the AP 370 for home use. I dont have a controller to manage it. Do I need it 

I want to hook it up to my motorola cable modem at home
Photo of Jonny

Jonny

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Travis Kaufman

Travis Kaufman, Champ

• 113 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
You will need a VHM Hive Manager On-Line or Local Hive Manager Appliance to manage the AP ( create policies, user profiles, SSID's, routing if you are setting the AP as in router mode... etc )  - Short answer you have to have Hive Manager whether its on-line or on-prem to manage it.  Remember Aerohive is controller-less.

Let me know if you have any questions.   Was the AP370 for a demo? 
Photo of Jonny

Jonny

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
no the ap370 is for work use but I will like to take it home and test. how do I create the hive manager online?
Photo of Hans Matthé

Hans Matthé

• 42 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Johny

You need to buy a HMO license for your AP. After this you can redirect the access point to this hivemanager so you can configure it. To get this done you better contact your supplier/distri.

Aerohive is controller-less, so no need of a hardware controller.
Photo of Jonny

Jonny

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
hi

I downloaded the HM vm. Does the VM need to always be online inorder for the AP/router to work? 

how do I do setup the HM VM to make the ap370 work with the VM? Any good documentation to follow?

Thanks
Photo of Travis Kaufman

Travis Kaufman, Champ

• 113 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
No - it is not a controller. So the VM is only needed for Management of the AP.
If you are not going to use the HMOL your "work" provided: I would follow the instruction guide at the below listed URL:
http://www.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/6.2r1/hm/full/Content/ref/doc.htm
Photo of Jonny

Jonny

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i rather use the hmol but I know we are licensed to use the VM and APs, does that mean we get an HMOL account as well? or is that a separate license?
Photo of Travis Kaufman

Travis Kaufman, Champ

• 113 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Im not sure what you purchased. Normally its HMOL or the VM appliance license.  I would log into your HMOL account, add the AP, and create a Home Network Policy aside from your business policy. 
Photo of Jonny

Jonny

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I installed the HM VM assigned ip to it also the ap 370 is plugged into the same network, but the HM cannot find it
Photo of Travis Kaufman

Travis Kaufman, Champ

• 113 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
There needs to be a DHCP Optopn 225/226 in your DHCP scope to point to the IP of Hive Manager. What I would do since its only 1 AP, SSH to the AP via its IP.
# sh capwap client
# capwap client server name 192.168.10.10 <---- IP OF YOUR HIVE MANANGER
# no capwap client enable
# capwap client enable
# save config
Photo of Jonny

Jonny

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I dont have the IP of the ap. Its wired directly to my switch. But on my dhcp server, I do not see it
Photo of Travis Kaufman

Travis Kaufman, Champ

• 113 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Do you have a console cable?

If not, run a network analyzer Free-ware to scan your IP's
Photo of Jonny

Jonny

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
does the ap comes out of the box dhcp? or is there a default static ip?
Photo of Travis Kaufman

Travis Kaufman, Champ

• 113 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
DHCP
Photo of Hao Huang

Hao Huang

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am in the similar situation trying to set up an AP320 for home use. Once your pc is connected to the default ssid, do ipconfig and the default gw is the ap. Ssh to the ip, with (default) username and password, and you are in the cli of hiveos.
Photo of Travis Kaufman

Travis Kaufman, Champ

• 113 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Jonny - how is this going for you?
Photo of Jonny

Jonny

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
hi, still trying to set it up. but I do not have dhcp server at home.  I am trying to replace my home netgear with this ap 370. is it possible? 

I use comcast at home with a motorola cable modem. at the back of the cable modem is ethernet.

how should i connect dual port ethernet ap370?
Photo of Travis Kaufman

Travis Kaufman, Champ

• 113 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Make the Policy Router.  Convert the AP to router mode. Add a subnet. Enable DHCP Eth0 WAN Eth 1 LAN 
Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 972 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
If you have a residential ADSL modem (or equivalent) at home which is acting as the DHCP and DNS server (most are) then you just need to:
  • Connect the Aerohive access point to one of the Ethernet ports on the residential modem
  • If the residential modem doesn't support PoE (extremely likely) then you will need an external power supply for the Aerohive access point.
  • Connect a console cable (Ciso roll cable for example) to the console port on the Aerohive access point.
  • Run HyperTerminal, Putty, etc. and connect to COM1.  You should now see responses from the Aerohive access point.
  • To factory default the Aerohive access point, which you may want to do it it has a large configuration already applied, execute the command reset config.  The Aerohive access point will reboot.
  • Once the Aerohive access point has rebooted it will try to get a DHCP address on VLAN 1.  Your residential modem should supply this and you have an Aerohive access point ready to configure.
If your residential modem does not act as a DHCP server you can use the following commands:

interface mgt0 ip [IP Address] [Subnet Mask]
ip route default gateway [Default Gateway IP Address]
interface mgt0 vlan [VLAN ID]
interface mgt0 native-vlan [VLAN ID]

The interface mgt0 vlan command determines which VLAN the access point's management traffic will be placed in.

The interface mgt0 native-vlan command determines which VLAN non-tagged traffic will be placed in.

The Aerohive wireless system is based on role based access control and you are a braver man than me if you want to configure this via the CLI.
(Edited)
Photo of Jonny

Jonny

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
do I need the hive manager to manage it? At home I do not have hive manager. Can I configure everything from the console?
Photo of Jonny

Jonny

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am going through the wizard and its asking for static ip assignment, dns etc... should all these be internal local IPs? how do I change it to router mode via the console?
Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 972 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
Configure the access point for DHCP and use the IP address of my residential modem as the DHCP and DNS sources.  All the VLANs should be set to one.  This will basically configure the access point as a media converter (802.11 <-> 802.3) and all traffic will be placed into VLAN one (which your residential modem will support).  The residential modem will act as the router.
(Edited)
Photo of Jonny

Jonny

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i do not have dhcp server on my network. I am trying to replace my netgear router with this Ap370. What is the point of having both netgear and AP370?  

I only want my comcast cable modem connected to my AP370. Cable modem does not do DHCP.
Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 972 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
You can configure the AP370 to act as a DHCP server and configure an external DNS source, such as GoogleDNS, as your DNS source.

You need to look through the CLI Reference Guide for HiveOS which is available at http://www.aerohive.com/support/tech-docs-and-online-training.  You just need to ensure that you get the right version for the version of HiveOS you are running on the AP370.

In the long term your best bet is to get your Aerohive reseller to obtain a 30 day trial HMOL so you can configure the AP370 access point correctly.
(Edited)
Photo of Jonny

Jonny

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
do I have to configure everything through hive manager? Or can I do it via the console of the AP?
Photo of Jonny

Jonny

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
In hivemanager when I go to device function, It only says AP and does not allow another option. any idea?