How to factory reset and re-deploy a BR100 router?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
A while ago I deployed some BR100s, but currently all of them stopped working due to the NTP-server not being available anymore.  I was able to solve the issue, but as I am trying to redeploy the BR's, I'm in trouble.  I seem to be unable to factory reset the BR's, at least, after holding down the reset button for more than ten seconds, it seems to react, but afterwards I'm blocked.
In fact, when I deploy a new BR (one that never has been deployed before), I simply connect it to my pc, which then receives an IP in subnet 192.168.85.0/24.  Then I can ssh the BR, and enter the following commands so it knows our HiveManager (on-premise):
- capwap client default-server-name <ip address>
- capwap client enable
This seems not to work when trying to redeploy.

Does anyone have any idea/suggestion on how to make it work?  Is there another and better way to deploy the BR's?

Kind regards,
Tim
Photo of Tim Premereur

Tim Premereur

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of BJ

BJ, Champ

• 374 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Do you still have capwap? Go to your configuration tab, select "Routers" in the devices section, check the router(s) to reset (I would start with one to test), click the "Inventory" button and select "Remove." If the router can still reach HM, it will reset the device to factory default. 

Concerning the deployment process, are you using HMOL or an on-premise device? By default, the routers should be able to reach HMOL if they have internet access. If on premise, Aerohive has an online redirect tool that you can point devices, by serial number, to another HM.

I've been using this for a couple of years now. I can ship a factory defaulted router to a non-savvy end user. As long as he can plug it in and get Internet access, that router will reach my on-premise HM.

Best,
BJ    
Photo of Tim Premereur

Tim Premereur

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

We do have an on-premise HiveManager.

In fact, it seems as if the routers, after factory resetting through the reset button, are not handing out ip addresses anymore in subnet 192.168.85.0/24, so I cannot access the routers at all.  That's where I'm blocked.

I'd prefer to keep on deploying within our network, instead of using the online redirect tool.  Is there a way? (there should be)

Kind regards,

Tim