how to change the settings from 54Mbps to around 150Mbps in aerohive manager and windows radius server?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)

Hi guys,

I am not sure how to change the settings to get a higher speed for domain joined laptops through domain SSID.

For your understanding,

In the Lab, there are 2 ssids, first one is domain and the second is guest in the configuration.

The domain joined laptop has a wireless network card, supporting 802.11 b/a/g/n.

We have a windows 2008 server with NPS and radius enabled.

first, I tried to use a local account of the laptop and put a password to make the wireless connection with guest SSID.in the laptop wifi status, the speed is around 150Mbps (up and down up to 10Mbps).

second, I tried to use a domain account and automatically the laptop made the wireless connection with domain SSID. I checked the wifi status and it is only 54Mbps.

The question here is why I can not use the higher speed with domain SSID and If it is a setting, how I can change it.

In the domain SSID,

SSID Broadcase band: 2.4(11b/g/n) and 5GHz(11a/n/ac)

SSID access security: WPA/WPA2 802.11x(enterprise)

Key management: auto-(WPA or WPA2)-EAP(802.1X)

encryption method: auto-TKIP or CCMP (AES)

in the guest SSID,

SSID Broadcase band: 2.4(11b/g/n) and 5GHz(11a/n/ac)

SSID access security: Private PSK

Key management: WPA2-(WPA2 personal)-PSK

encryption method: CCMP (AES)

I understand the security type is not the same and also key and encryption method are not the same.

I understand the domain SSID gives the only 54Mbps with TKIP and 802.11ag or 802.11bg while the guest SSID gives the 155Mbps with AES and 802.11an.

Can you explain that to me why?

TKIP is only set with 54Mbps? or WPA only gives me 802.11g? Should I change the windows server NPS radius setting?

I would like to know what I have to change in aerohive or in windows server or the both to get the higher speed.

The setting was done by someone else long time again, and I would like to give the higher speed to people using the domain joined laptops as they complain me about the delay to log on. the delay issue might be something else but I want to start it from here because I also want to know how to change it.

Thanks you.

Jamie

Photo of Jamie Cho

Jamie Cho

• 27 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Hi Jamie,

Ensure that you put the WPA2-Enterprise 802.1X SSID in to WPA2-only mode with CCMP (AES), NOT auto, and ensure that WMM is enabled on it.

By spec, the 802.11n data rates are only available when you do this.

Cheers,

Nick