how many concurrent users can connect to AP122 and AP130?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
Photo of Luis Espinoza

Luis Espinoza

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Jonas Dekkers

Jonas Dekkers

• 152 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Depends on the tyoe of devices and the usage. But 15 for ap122 and 30 for ap130 would be good
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
The software currently limits you to, I believe, 100 concurrent associations per radio (you can change/reduce this in the radio profile, under Client Selection). Of course, once you get that many concurrent clients connected then each client's share of the bandwidth is pretty small. Jonas Dekkers' numbers, above, are reasonable guidelines for good user experience.
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes

I have some updated info for the followers of this conversation. My experts in real-world deployments tell me that the AP122 is more than suitable for up to 20 concurrent clients all streaming standard definition (standard bitrate, 480p) video such as Netflix, Youtube, etc. on mobile devices, typically at 20MHz channel width, or 10 at 720p. The AP122 could handle twice that many concurrently connected clients if they are doing general web browsing or similar intermittent-activity operations while still providing excellent user experience. See https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en for Google’s encoding and bitrate info used as a baseline.

The AP130 fits well where applications are typically HD video or there is a need for wider channels (40MHz or 80MHz), with comparable concurrently-connected client counts.