How do you protect your AP390 - In a school gym?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
We are about to place an AP 390 in our school gym, and we are looking for ideas to protect it. I was wondering if anyone else has done this? Our sports teams are pretty bad, and I'm seeing them constantly shank balls allover the place. LOL
Photo of James Watson

James Watson

• 70 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of John Fabry

John Fabry

• 28 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Oberon
Todd ERBER
PH. 303-898-9760
oberonwireless.com

Their products look very good
Photo of Rob Pritchard

Rob Pritchard

• 86 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Do you have Todd's email address?
Photo of Hans

Hans

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Usually you can order a cage to go around the AP
Photo of Amanda Hagen

Amanda Hagen

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You can look into getting thermostat / exit sign protectors which are usually a little less expensive than the custom "AP Cages".  From what I have heard you want to be careful about using metal as it can cause interference; especially if it ends up grounded.
Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes

Another vote for Oberon products. This is the one you would need:

http://oberonwireless.com/products/indoor-outdoor-nema-enclosures-mounts/304-model-1026-00

This is listed for AP340/AP350, so I'm not completely sure an AP390 will fit. But I think it would; the antennae orientation may be the one issue. You would need to check with them first.

We've tested them, and they are very sturdy. They'll easily withstand lacrosse balls being winged at them.

Photo of Dawn Douglass

Dawn Douglass

• 67 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
In our gyms, we made cages with something similar to the emergency lighting enclosure shown on this page. They were inexpensive and effective.  In 3 years we have not had one AP damaged. There's minor interference from the cage but, for this use case, the cost savings was worth it.  
Photo of Terence Fleming ThinkWireless

Terence Fleming ThinkWireless, Champ

• 79 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes

• 79 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Photo of Knarf

Knarf

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I'm not a fan of where this AP is deployed or the enclosure in general. The placement here is very bad, along with the metal rod in front that is going to cause diffuse reflection, scattering, and unwanted poor performance in general. The AP should also not be in a corner. When it is in a corner, the RF energy is cut in half.

I would say, not to put the AP in a corner. I would also say not to put it by any reflective or metal surface. The metal cage looks like a good idea, but I would go with something like a plastic enclosure.
(Edited)

• 79 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes

• 79 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes