How do I configure an AP330 behind a Branchoffice Router BR200WP

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
We have a few BR200WP devices deployed working as Branch Office Connectors. Now one of these branches would like to expand the WiFi range by adding a AP330 or AP141 to one of the PoE ports of the BR200WP.

Can someone point me to a configuration example on how to accomplish this?

I'm at a point were the devices are connected and broadcasting the SSIDs, but connecting to the AP330 fails. If the client connects to the same SSID directly on the BR200 it works fine. I'm guessing It has something to do with the port assignment.(?)
Photo of Jornt Weyts

Jornt Weyts

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
  • puzzled

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Jornt,
Can you describe the failure symptoms a little more? The expected SSID is advertised, the client can connect to it, but cannot reach anything else in the network?

I suspect that you may have VLAN assignments for those users but that VLAN isn't extended to the AP, and effectively those users frames are dumped into the bit-bucket instead of being forwarded as expected.
Photo of Travis Kaufman

Travis Kaufman

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Client VLAN and Mgt VLAN of the AP need to be verified.  I imagine what Mike stated above Client VLAN is non-existent on the router.   Is there a subnet created for the Clients?  Is the AP Port Trunked?

Connect to the BR200 SSID ( gain your mac-address ) input in the client monitor ( then attempt connection to the AP330 -  More than likely a DHCP Discover Message is being sent out to nothing....
Photo of Andrew Garcia

Andrew Garcia, Official Rep

• 368 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Assuming you want the same SSIDs on both devices, you can push the same network policy to the BR and AP, and the AP will pick up the wireless configuration from the policy while ignoring the device template and subnet assignment information.

Assuming the AP is connected directly to ETH1 or ETH2 on the BR to provide PoE, you would create and assign an 802.1Q Port Type to the relevant port in the device template section of the network policy, then assign the native and tagged VLANs to the Port Type.

You may want to check out this guide for further Branch on Demand setup instructions and details about the Branch on Demand product. The guide needs a refresh to detail some of Aerohive's newer features, but it does cover your use case on pages 16-20.