HiveManager 8.1r1 Not Reporting Info Correctly

  • 2
  • Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • (Edited)
We're running HiveManager on-premise (VM) 8.1r1 and HiveOS 8.1r2a on AP230 access points (approximately 1600 throughout our whole school district).  We did the upgrade to HiveOS 8.1r2a as instructed by Aerohive in October because of the KRACK vulnerability.  In looking at some of our APs in HiveManager, HiveManager is showing incorrect power levels for a lot of APs.  Almost all classroom APs have the 5Ghz radio power level set to 10, but I see a lot of them being reported in HiveManager (whether in Monitor or the Configuration screen) as a number (lower from what I've seen) other than how it's actually configured when you look at the detailed configuration of the AP.  Is anyone else experiencing this issue with this version of HiveManager and/or HiveOS?  Anybody know why this would be happening?
Photo of Rob Pritchard

Rob Pritchard

  • 86 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

  • 2
Photo of Dianne Dunlap

Dianne Dunlap

  • 75 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I personally have not observed this but you might want to ssh into an AP and see what it thinks it's at.  If you're doing a ceiling of 10 vs. hard-coding 10, APs showing lower could be normal.  If the show command says 10, it sounds like more of a reporting issue.

AH-0a2d80#show interface wifi0          
AC=access category; be=best-effort; bg=background; vi=video; vo=voice;
AIFS=Arbitration Inter-Frame Space; Txoplimit=transmission opportunity limit;
IDP=Intrusion detection and prevention; BGSCAN=background scan; PS=Power save;
HT=High throughput; A-MPDU=Aggregate MAC protocol data unit;
DFS=Dynamc Frequency Selection; CU=Channel Utilization;

Summary state=Channel RF overcrowded;
Mode=access; Radio disabled=no;
Admin state=enabled; Operational state=up;
MAC addr=9c5d:120a:2d90; MTU=1500;
Freq(Chan)=2462Mhz(11); EIRP power=28.97dBm; Diversity=disabled;
Tx range=300m; Noise floor=-91dBm; Tx power control=disabled;
Photo of Rob Pritchard

Rob Pritchard

  • 86 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
This is what it shows me:
Photo of Rob Pritchard

Rob Pritchard

  • 86 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
And I'm configuring the power level for 5Ghz within HiveManager for each individual AP, changing it from Auto to 10.  Is that specifying a ceiling meaning that it can run lower, or is that telling the AP to run the 5Ghz radio at a power level of 10 all of the time?  The latter was always my assumption.
(Edited)
Photo of Rob Pritchard

Rob Pritchard

  • 86 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Also, although my HiveManager says I'm on the most up-to-date version, I did just check Aerohive's web site and see that there is an upgrade to version 8.1r2 so I'll be upgrading to that this weekend.  Yet another frustrating issue when my HiveManager says it's up to date but there is a newer version available on Aerohive's web site. :-)
Photo of Dianne Dunlap

Dianne Dunlap

  • 75 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
If you're doing manual 10dBm as opposed to setting a maximum of 10 in the general radio profile, I agree that the it should show 10dBm.  Your EIRP is showing EIRP=16.77=6dBm + 6.0 dBi + 4.77 dBi.  I'm guessing that some are reporting 10dBm in the CLI but others are not?
Photo of Scott Anderson

Scott Anderson

  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am having the same problem in my environment. The GUI in the legacy on-premise VA Hive Manager running 8.1r2 is misreporting the channel and power settings that are on the AP230 wireless access points running 8.1r2a code.
Photo of Pat ORourke

Pat ORourke

  • 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am seeing this with radio + channel settings. Set to Off-auto-auto (radio state, channel, power) produced 15DB, *1, *4.  Last night, Tech Support changed the VM our hive manager runs on. It solved the client power misreporting.

Unfortunately, I just modified a network policy that only was acknowledged by 3 of the 5 AP's using the network policy. 
Photo of Tobias Protz

Tobias Protz

  • 61 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
The radio settings with firmware 8.x for the APs seem off.
We are using AP250 exclusively here, and with firmware 7.1r1 the settings are what you set them to, p.ex. using the auto setting and giving the APs a lower ceiling of 5, you can see some power up all the way up to 20 (mostly on the 5ghz band), and going as low as 5, whereas as soon as we update them to 8.1 they will drop to a max of 17 and a minimum of 9 with exactly the same settings.