Hive manager says AP is 100% ok but its not working.

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
We have 230 AP's in a school environment.  Just had a user tell us that the AP in their room does not appear to be working. According to the Hive Manager it is connected and all appears to be fine. Testing an iPad and it is connecting to the room next door. Restart got it working again. This appears to be a common problem. Anyone else experience the same issue. Gets to the point where you cant trust the hive managers status of AP's.
Photo of Stuart Mainwaring

Stuart Mainwaring

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated.

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Hi Stuart,

The status that you are referring to pertains to the CAPWAP connection between the AP and HiveManager.

What version of HiveOS are you running on your AP230s?

Thanks,

Nick
Photo of james.gaudet

james.gaudet

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Next time check with a device that supports just 5Ghz and another that just supports 2.4. We've found that the AP is working but one of the antennas sometimes goes down
Photo of Knarf

Knarf

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
How many devices solely have the ability to connect to the 5 GHz band in a typical deployment? Next to none. The iPad has a preference for the 5 GHz band.
Photo of Dennis Hamman

Dennis Hamman

• 29 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
James I have ran into that same issue as well where 2.4 clients cannot connect but 5ghz clients can.  I have only had this issue on the AP121 what model are you using?

Stuart Mainwaring

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi

HiveOS 6.8r1 Jakarta.-130440

regards
Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Try upgrading to the current version of HiveOS. Also check your configs for load balancing and high density.
Photo of Brian Powers

Brian Powers, Champ

• 396 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Stuart,

See this thread regarding Aerohives DAS.  It might prove useful.
https://community.aerohive.com/aerohive/topics/ap230s-not-passing-traffic-occassionally

Stuart Mainwaring

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Was a room full of ipads. Air s and pros.
Photo of Jan Boje

Jan Boje

• 47 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi
We have seen similar issues with AP370, HiveOS 6.5r5, HiveManager 6.8r4.

Our problem is that accesspoint is getting “lock” . Some computers can’t connect others is working fine. If Student move to another part of the school, everything is working fine. My conclusion is, that it is the accesspoint which have a problem. To correct this I reboot the accespoint and everything is working fine again.

Those student which are connected is on both radio's. 

Our conclusion: it has nothing to do with antenna problem

any Ideas ?

Photo of Dennis Hamman

Dennis Hamman

• 29 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I have don't think it is antenna problem either.  I used a mac book and a Fluke one touch to preform a packet capture and found that the access points were not responding to EAP requests.  When I reboot the access point all would be well.  I am trying to find my packet captures when I do i will attach them.  It has been a while since I have had issues with this since most of my clients have dual band radios now.