Hi, Can you confirm if i can use AP230 with POE802.3af, if yes does all sepc will be supported, if no can you confirm how watt does i need ?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Photo of Nicolas Rapenne

Nicolas Rapenne

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Nicolas,
Yes, you can use the AP230 with 802.3af PoE and all software features will work, but I believe that the second ethernet port and the USB port will be disabled. If you use our AC adapter or 802.3at PoE then you will have no restrictions.

PoE nominal input voltages: 48V, 0.35A, (802.3af) – 48V, 0.625A (802.3at)
Photo of Herman Verley

Herman Verley

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The AP230 is sold without PS. With a maximum of 16W per PoE-port, I understand that the USB port is diabled to safe power but what is the purpose of a disabled second ethernet port when powered over 802.3af?
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Purpose? To provide sufficient power for the remainder of the hardware in that system.
Photo of Herman Verley

Herman Verley

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
OK, understood but for the moment the AP230 only takes 8-9W equal to an AP340 that has eth1 enabled. Will there be a future firmware with eth1 enabled?
Tnx
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
No, there are chipset differences and thus different hardware requirements. The AP340 uses an older 802.11n chipset, the AP230 uses a newer 802.11ac chipset.
Photo of Smitty

Smitty

• 37 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Sorry for the reply to the older post.  Can you confirm...does the AP230 in fact disable the second ethernet port when running 802.3af?  It sounded like it based on the 'I believe' comment above but can you confirm?  Thanks.
Photo of Dan Mellem

Dan Mellem

• 52 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
We're using 802.3af and aggregating the two Ethernet ports on the AP230. Both are up. However, only eth0 does PoE, so you don't get redundant links (unless using local power) or extra power by connecting both. It's fine for extra throughput or if you want to chain something off eth1.
Photo of Smitty

Smitty

• 37 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I have been trying to use Eth1 in backhaul mode to a separate network at this one site.  Eth0 feeds the PoE and has the main network and everything.  We are trying to connect Eth1 to a separate Internet connection for the guest network that doesn't touch the production network.  I can not even get the Eth1 to give me a link light.  I am thinking maybe the 802.3af has disabled Eth1 but I am trying to verify.  I might try to find a power injector later and see if that will bring Eth1 to life...which wouldn't be a good long term solution.  I wish I could find a breakdown of what features are disabled on the AP230 and AP370 with running 802.3af instead of 802.3at.

Thank you.
Photo of Andrew Garcia

Andrew Garcia, Official Rep

• 368 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
ETH1 is disabled when powering the AP230 with 802.3af. Technically, when the AP boots, ETH1 powers up briefly, but by the time boot is complete, ETH1 will power down.

If you want to use ETH1 port, you need to use 802.3at (either from the switch or midline injector) or a power brick.

http://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/6.6r1/hm/full/help.htm#hw/ap/AP230.htm#EthernetPor...
(Edited)