Help! Aerohive AP170: Separate VLAN for Mgt and WLAN

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
:-) Hi...I want to have a different VLAN for the Mgt Interface (308) and another for the WLAN (306). I'm running a different DHCP for each VLAN.
The DHCP for the Mgt interface works...but when I try connecting to the WLAN it doesn't connect (DHCP or static).

The AP 170 is connected to trunk port (Juniper EX-2200) allowing only the 2 VLANs I need (306 & 308). 
I can get DHCP if I connect my laptop to one of the switchports in access mode on the WLAN 306 VLAN.

The AP 170 antennas (2.4 & 5) are both for client access. The ethernet port is for backhaul.
I've attached a pix showing the current policy settings...

Is the AP170 Native VLAN important in this scenario? since I'm tagging both WLAN and Mgt traffic

Switchport config:
 ge-0/0/6 {        unit 0 {
            family ethernet-switching {
                port-mode trunk;
                vlan {
                    members [ AEROHIVE HOTSPOT ];
                }
            }
        }
    }

Please help me. I really appreciate.
Photo of Dumebi

Dumebi

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jonas Dekkers

Jonas Dekkers

• 152 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Did you use the vlan probe tool? You can find this tool under the Tools tab.

Here you can check which vlans the Access point really see. (I think he display all vlans where he can find a dhcp). If he can't find the vlan you are using. You need to check to your lan configuration.
Photo of Bob Reisdorf

Bob Reisdorf

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Have you set up dhcp helper, or ip relay on the switch for the mgmt vlan?
Photo of Dumebi

Dumebi

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Bob.
Yeah I do have ip-helper configurations on the router's sub-interfaces for each vlan.
The scopes are all on a single DHCP windows server.
Photo of Dumebi

Dumebi

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Jonas.
I've now run the VLAN probe tool...It shows only the mgmt vlan (308). The 306 (WLAN) doesn't show up.
BUT...
The AP 170 is connected to a trunk port...I can get DHCP from all the VLANS on that port (306, 308, etc) when I plug directly (my NIC supports VLAN configuration)

I tried something else I changed the user profile WLAN vlan to 303 ... a long existing vlan for my office LAN...It works perfectly.
I switch it back to 306...can't obtain IP.

Photo of Dumebi

Dumebi

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Now the VLAN probe tool no longer sees the 308 VLAN...even though the AP still gets an IP.
Since it worked with a different VLAN (303), it's probably an issue with my LAN. :-(