Has anyone succeed on streaming IP Video using conversion of multicast to unicast on AP230 on 6.2r1a?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Photo of Patience

Patience

• 61 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
I do this all the time streaming to a Chromecast stick in my home...
Photo of Patience

Patience

• 61 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We really don't need conversion to use Chromecast stick in our Campus. We have use IGMP multicast to form a group of vlans to stream IP TV in the network. Basically, we watch cable TV on our data wired network.
Photo of Eddie Klaczko

Eddie Klaczko

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
We are using 6.2r1a on AP230s and streaming IPTV.  It's about a 2-3MB stream and can get about 5-7 clients on an AP before we see performance problems.  We've had to set our Basic data rate to 24Mbps and shutoff lower data rates to achieve this along with some Manual Radio Power Management (MRPM).  So try adjusting those.
Photo of Patience

Patience

• 61 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I was testing with single client within 10 feet distance with AP230. I will give a try shutting off lower data rates.
Thanks Eddie.
Photo of Eddie Klaczko

Eddie Klaczko

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
No problem, tell us how it goes.  Nice to hear someone else to trying to do this.
Photo of Patience

Patience

• 61 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I tried with Basic 24Mbps data rate and shutoff all lower data rates and kept AP230 and laptop close to 6 feet in no interference area, selected Always option on Conversion to Unicast, uncheck WMM, and Voice Enterprise, and no other clients connected on that SSID but still I could not able to stream 4-5 Mbps stream of IP TV's any channels.
Photo of Andrew Garcia

Andrew Garcia, Official Rep

• 368 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Why would you turn off WMM?  That is going to force you to 11a or 11g speeds on the network, due to WiFi Alliance specification.
Photo of Patience

Patience

• 61 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Because in the note says WMM-AC is not supported on AP230. I think I missunderstood WMM-AC with WMM. I checked WMM and leave uncheck for Voice and Video. I checked Enable unscheduled automatic power save delivery as well. Now I can see my laptop's 802.11n wifi status has 300 Mbps speed But still It is Not streaming anything at all.
Photo of Eddie Klaczko

Eddie Klaczko

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Patience, when you say you cannot stream does this mean no video or audio at all comes through or is it just unwatchable?   If nothing is coming through did you verify this VLAN can receive the stream wired into the same switch as the AP? 
Photo of Patience

Patience

• 61 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Eddie,
I have verified vlan as this should be member vlan of multicast group. I have tested the same vlan working fine in wired network. I see nothing coming through, no video, no audio at all.
Photo of Eddie Klaczko

Eddie Klaczko

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I'm looking through my config to see if there's anything that we're doing differently and I can't see it.  Do you get anything through if you set the IP Multicast Conversion to Unicast to Auto or disable?  Ours is set to Auto.  Make sure no firewall rules in place and your running 6.2 code on the AP. 

What kind of client are you using to see the stream?  We use Haivision's Instream and in the app that it shows when we select the stream if it is receiving the broadcast and statistics for video quality.  Wireshark is a big help to see the packets come in with their CoS values. 

We are using the def-user-qos policy on Aerohive APs and it seems to work for us.  But for you to see no traffic would mean everything would be dropped which isn't likely.  But double check and make sure there isn't some misconfigured qos policy.
Photo of Patience

Patience

• 61 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have tried both Auto and Always multicast conversions. There is no firewall rule set. Code is 6.2 on the AP. We are using same Haivision Instream on the web browser and  a multimedia pop up window will appear for video player. We are also using same default QoS def-user-qos policy that aerohive provided. Do you happen to have any packets sample that shows the right CoS value in packet capture so I will compare with mine. I am not seeing any kind of multicast communication between wifi client and multicast source.
Photo of Patience

Patience

• 61 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Photo of Eddie Klaczko

Eddie Klaczko

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
10.6.37.8 is the Haivision encoder
Photo of Eddie Klaczko

Eddie Klaczko

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I spoke with my AV guy and he was wondering if you were using the encoders with their Furnace appliance and suggested there might be a misconfiguration there.  But you are getting the packets on your laptop.  Maybe a codec mismatch...
Photo of Patience

Patience

• 61 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I wonder why we can't see any normal unicast communications between source encoder to destination client. All I am seeing is the multicast communication send by encoder via multicast group ip. I have very limited knowledge about any codec mismatch but it works perfectly on wired network. It does work on iPhone App but app does all the conversion of multicast to unicast and works even disabling multicast to unicast conversion at Aerohive policy. Have you tried streaming IPTV disabling Aerohive conversion? I will try to see if I will find anything about codec.
Photo of Patience

Patience

• 61 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes we are using Haivision B-290E-DVI Makito Encoder with their Furnace.
Photo of Eddie Klaczko

Eddie Klaczko

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Tried disabling multi to uni conversion and performance was terrible.  Went from zero dropped packets to video being unwatchable.  At this site I don't have end-to-end QoS so the multicast packets weren't properly tagged.  It's interesting that multi to uni would alleviate this problem.  I doubt that would be the case once the traffic load increased.
Photo of Patience

Patience

• 61 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The screenshot is a wireshark capture out of the laptop where I am trying to use browser based Instream client to stream multicast iptv. As per the output, I can see Cisco Nexus EhterSVI (multicast vlan) interface MAC: 54:7f:ee:e7:31:41 is trying to communicate with laptop MAC: 58:94:6b:a0:5a:50. In IP V4, layer 3, the source IP 10.2.15.50 belongs to Haivision Encoder Model B-290E-DVI and destination address is its multicast IP 239.1.1.111. I can see multicast stream communicating but do not that reaches to the final destination which is my Instream client at Lenovo laptop. I don't see COS value as I am not using any QoS tagging at Cisco nexus core who does multicast routing.
Photo of Patience

Patience

• 61 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Photo of Eddie Klaczko

Eddie Klaczko

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
If you scroll though the instream statistics to the right you will see the source multicast IP.  Is this info correct?

On this stream it's 239.41.54.10.  FYI the tos=0xb8 value is for CoS
Photo of Patience

Patience

• 61 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am not seeing instream statistics anywhere. But I am sure about our multicast IP address. We have use 239.1.1.101 to 239.1.1.112 for 12 channels. For example, we have use 239.1.1.111 for ESPN.
Photo of Patience

Patience

• 61 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Eddie,
What kind of devices are you using to stream IPTV? You did mentioned instream App, so is that on Mobile I-devices (iPhone, iPad. ect.) , Android etc, and uses multicast address directly on it? Is your server and client vlan is same or different?
Photo of Eddie Klaczko

Eddie Klaczko

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Patience, sorry for the delay in responding, had to take some PT last week.  Our client devices are Windows laptops(Dell) using Intel Wifi-N 6300 and Intel 7260 AC chipsets.  I'm not sure about iOS and android apps and Haivision's multicast support on those.  When I first started this project about 18mos ago I don't think that support was there yet.  And since it wasn't what we needed at the time I never tested mobile devices.  Our server and clients are on different vlans (wired/wireless) so some L3 multicast handling needed to be configured.  I'll follow up with some wireshark screen caps.
Photo of Arison Mercado

Arison Mercado

• 113 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Any updates with having IP TV working on the Wireless?
Photo of Patience

Patience

• 61 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No luck in our network.  
Photo of Arison Mercado

Arison Mercado

• 113 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Thanks for the update, hopefully we can get some good news within this years summer break.