Free Bonjour-Gateway: We often have to restart apple-tv for it to advertise.

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
We have installed and configured free GW and we are able to see filtered airplay (apple-tv) across vlans.
However,
We often have to restart apple-tv for it to advertise. Will advertise but after idle requires a restart to be seen.
Any configuration that would address this?
Photo of Tom Larkin

Tom Larkin

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Tom,
Sorry, not enough details here for me to attempt to troubleshoot. We have made some improvements to the Free Bonjour Gateway recently, are you using the latest version of this product?
Photo of Tom Larkin

Tom Larkin

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for reply

version = 5.1 R2a build 0905

Re: additional info Not much to add

We have found we sometimes need to restart apple tv
and seems the classic "stickyclient" behavior may be a factor as in at least one test session, was able to see advertised tvs until client moved to another part of building serviced by different AP (same client vlan) . In which case disable and re-enable wireless on client caused the tvs to appear.

Tom
Photo of Andrew MacTaggart

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
I can confirm simular behavior with code 6.1r1 using the Bonjour Gateway with the 330 APs.

we currently have 50 AppleTVs connected
although the service appears in the Hives Bonjour Gateway service pane, the Mac BookAir running mountain lion airplay is unable to see the AppleTV, in the area that they are in, but will see some AppleTVs usually the AppleTvs connected to the same vlan as the client.
We turn airPlay off and then on
We turn MBA airport off then on
And the AppleTV usually shows up

We have also restarted the AppleTvs as well
Sometimes changing the AppleTV name and rebooting does the trick

But this is a huge burden to Administrators

Sometimes an ipad or ipod or iphone can see the appleTV but the MBA or MBP can not, very inconsistant.

also noted that after turning airtime fairness on that the service pane shrank from 50 AppleTvs down to 7 AppleTvs, I will be disabling airtime fairness tonight to see if the services come back.

Cheers
A
Photo of Aaron Scott

Aaron Scott

• 43 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
There is a 1000 service limit in the Bonjour Gateway.

Every Bonjour service in the VLANs being scanned takes up one of those 1000 "slots" for every VLAN. e.g. if you are scanning 10 VLANs then a single AirPlay service from one VLAN will take up 10 slots. Given that a single bonjour device can have multiple bonjour services it is very easy to fill the 1000 slots.

What seems to happen is services get bumped off the 1000 list and so disappears from being visible from the clients.

We are seeing this at clients with a large number of VLANs and/or large number of Bonjour services.

Cheers,
Aaron

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply Aaron

I restarted the service on the BDD and they all came back.

I have about 10 Vlans
50 AppleTvs
4 services allowed

4 X 50 X 10 = 2000

Dab nam it!

However, when I show the services in the BDD only 360 are shown, no where near the 2000.

I am filtering - even if I filter does a filtered service count as one of the 1000?

Ok I am going to have rethink this. Is that 1000 something that is programable? and or likely to change?
Photo of Aaron Scott

Aaron Scott

• 43 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
The 1000 limit is before filtering :(

You will find that the 360 will go up as the services are discovered by the BG.

Not sure on whether the 1000 limit is going to change

A.

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
just some follow up.

APs are limited to 1000 services due to memory

http://community.aerohive.com/aerohiv...

http://community.aerohive.com/aerohiv...

I first widdled my overall VLANs down to 7 from 10 previously

So since I saw my Guest vlan, and Mgmt vlan added to the BDD virtual Interfaces, Called Tech Support [Thanks AJ] and they pointed me to the correct area to remove those virtual interfaces from the BDD

Although I still have a lot of services [apparently JAMF software requires some services] I have eliminated 2 vlans from the mix.

Photo of Loren

Loren

• 48 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
How do you guys work around the 1000 service limit???? I find that in a school enviroment you can get a couple hundred services in no time. Seems strange that the limit would be all services detected x amount of vlans!

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
AP limit is 1000 due to physical memory

A few work arounds, that have worked for our environment, but keep in mind the only services I am currently interested in are AppleTVs. If users are on the same vlan they will still see Bonjour services that are local to that vlan.

limit the vlans to listen for services, what would be good is if you had the ability to say listen to services on vlan W and advertise the services to vlans X,Y and Z

currently the BDD listens on all allowed vlans.

create an AppleTv vlan - isolate for filtering
filter services from AppleTV vlan to the user Vlans

This filter limits what services are advertised, not learned services

place the BDD AP in a quiet place with hardly any users * this seems to have helped the most.

My original location for the BDD always had 30 devices connected - so AP resources was an issue.

use sleepproxy services - this service will answer querries while the device is in power save mode.

contact Aerohive support or your provider, There is a issue with keep alives, and how the BDD removes entries when it probes a device and does not get a response.

At one point I was considering slicing up the wireless in cells to create multiple isolated realms and have a BDD in each cell, but It never got to that point, because things settled down.

Two AppleTv related things
statically assign IP to the AppleTV via DHCP - otherwise you may get a (#) everytime the IP changes.

I am considering to statically assign IP addresses to the AppleTVs because there is a weird event log message that never stops coming
Station(2cb4:3axx:xxxx) ip(192.168.2.57) changed to 192.168.2.25

this is an Auth message and it occurs for all the AppleTVs

What ever is going on with this message, I do not see any DHCP messages in the packet analysis for the STA and the DHCP server

and

Assign AppleTV vlan via Radius attributes

Cheers
A