Disable the non-OFDM legacy 802.11/802.11b data rates by default.

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • (Edited)
I do not know if the Wi-Fi certification will allow this at this juncture, but it would be great to see all the DSSS and CCK 802.11/802.11b data rates being disabled by default in HiveOS/HiveManager.

The reasons why will be obvious to all with a background in wireless but in the interests of being complete...

Much of the rationale behind this idea is explained in Cisco's proposal to the IEEE 802.11 working group:

The following article from NetworkWorld also contains an explanation and some empirical data on why this is a good idea:

(Of course, it should go without saying that for those that need or find they need such support, they could easily enable it for their environments.)

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2487 Posts
  • 449 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 965 Posts
  • 270 Reply Likes
Thanks for the link to the document.

I know why Cisco is proposing this.  I have a high density deployment across five floors of a single building and there are 802.11b only clients that must be supported.  These 802.11b only clients need the access points to have a transmit power of approximately 15 dBm and the 2.4 GHz co-channel interference is just out of control.  The network works (in the sense that the 2.4 GHz clients can connect and do what they want) but the site survey results make interesting reading.

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2487 Posts
  • 449 Reply Likes

You may be interested in the following, if you haven't already seen it of course: