DHCP Search Option (option 119)

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
I want to use DHCP option 119 to specify a list of search domains for client configuration. Since this is not in HiveManagers’ standard set of options (surprisingly, I find) i’ve tried to do this with the custom options.

However, it turns out to be practically impossible/useless:
a) using HiveManager DHCP Custom Options with Type=Hex it is indeed possible to use this DHCP option but the limit of 32 HEX characters is much too small for this to be useful; its insufficient to build a list of even two, relatively short search domain names.

b) using HiveManager DHCP Custom Options with Type=String doesn’t work at all because the format for this option, as defined in RFC3397 is not built into HiveManager and I was not able to paste in the non-printable characters required to build up a valid value into the “Value” field of HiveManager.

Does anybody else have this problem? Has anybody found a solution, other than using an external DHCP server?

SUGGESTION: Can Aerohive please increase the maximum length/number of HEX characters allowed in the Type field from 32 to, say, 128??
Photo of Michael Ratcliffe

Michael Ratcliffe

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of David Coleman

David Coleman, Employee

• 27 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Michael:

Support for 256 characters is coming in the next release
Photo of Brian Ambler

Brian Ambler

• 245 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Hello Michael,

You're in luck, in the soon to be released HiveManager version 6.1r6a, when your Aerohive device acting as  the DHCP server is running 6.1r6 or higher, the number of hex digits supported has been increased from 32 to 256. This is true for both Aerohive Branch Routers as well as Layer 2 devices functioning as DHCP servers.

Layer 3 Configuration

Layer 2 Configuration

Hope this helps
Photo of Michael Ratcliffe

Michael Ratcliffe

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
What can I say? THANKS ... seems like its my lucky day :-) :-)

--michael
Photo of Brian Ambler

Brian Ambler

• 245 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Hi Michael,

Just to follow up, 6.1r6a was released today and is available at time of writing this comment for customers with both on-premise and online HiveManagers. For more information, please see the 6.1r6a release announcement here.