DHCP Option 226 not being requested by AP230 running 6.6r2a

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • (Edited)
We added dhcp option 226 to our Aerohive management vlan in our DHCP Server.
However when booting up an AP it does not request dhcp option 226.
In the manual it is stated that they always request this.
(also we are running our own HM Portal in a VM)
If anyone knows the solution to our problem that would be great.

Kind regards,

Dennis
Photo of Dennis

Dennis

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • at a loss

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Dennis, 
You are only the fourteenth customer I know of who actually wanted to use this.

DHCP options 225/226 (previously used for HM FQDN and IP address) turned out to be SITE-SPECIFIC options and caused collisions and conflicts at some of our customer sites, so we had to change to using VENDOR-SPECIFIC option 43.

I don't recall off the top of my pointy little head exactly when we did that; I think it was in HiveOS version 6.4 or 6.5.

Older versions of HiveOS will still look for options 225 thru 231 as part of their DHCP boot process, newer versions will submit a VCI of "AEROHIVE" and will look for sub-options 225 thru 231.

Option 43 takes sub-options. We retained the same numbering, just moved everything to sub-options under Vendor-Specific option 43. In other words, you can use sub-option 226 to identify the HM server's IP address.

My personal apologies for the documentation not being updated. We will update that in a future release of HiveOS.
Photo of ZPrime

ZPrime

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This is a major pain in the butt for my company, since we have always used option 225, and the DHCP servers I use for our sites are not capable of handling vendor-specific DHCP options & vendor classes.  

Very few devices are, other than a full-blown ISC DHCPd or Windows DHCP server.  Can't do it with a Cisco, Adtran, Juniper router/firewall to my knowledge.

I just discovered this "the hard way" when new APs at a site did not come up and I was not sure why...  of course they haven't been added to our OPR because I've never had any APs get added there without manual intervention.  (We purchase through CDW; is there any way we can get all APs we buy to be auto-registered to the OPR?)
Photo of Dennis

Dennis

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi,

Another solution would be to add a DNS record in your company's DNS servers for hivemanager.<your domain here>. The AP does an auto discovery for hivemanager.localdomain

We are using this currently and to this day is working like a charm.

Regards,

Dennis
Photo of Dennis

Dennis

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you for the quick reply, my issue has been resolved now! we are using the sub option and things are working like a charm!
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Glad to hear that I was able to help, and again I apologize for the poor documentation about this change. 
Photo of Michel

Michel

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello,
I assume you created a "Vendor Class" and then created a "Predefined Option"?
What kind of data type did you used for the Predefined Option.

Regards, Michel
Photo of Dennis

Dennis

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi,

In the end we decided that we were going to add a dns entry for hivemanager.ourdomain, since the AP's always look for hivemanager.<localdomain>.

Regards,
Dennis