dell d630 issue

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
I have found a weird issue that I'm getting stuck on.  My dell d630's can login to an active directory 802.1x freeradius wpa2-enterprise ssid on cisco infrastructure, but not aerohive.  Everything I've tested except the d630's can login using the aerohive aps just fine.  Only this combination of laptop and ap is causing headache.  The freeradius logs aren't even showing successes or failures for the login attempt.  Any ideas where to look?  I opened a support ticket as well, but since the d630 was a pretty popular laptop a few years ago I thought maybe others here could have ran into this problem before.
Photo of Vernon Montford

Vernon Montford

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
My suggestion is that need to break your problem down. There's not enough information here to go on.

I suggest looking at the following, in sequential order until the cause is identified:

1. What does Aerohive's Client Monitor show for the client?
  2. What does a packet capture on the RADIUS server yield?
  3. What do you see from a monitor mode capture in the air?
  4. Assuming Windows, what does ras tracing (netsh ras set tracing * enabled) et al. yield?
Nick
(Edited)
Photo of Dawn Douglass

Dawn Douglass

• 67 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I agree w/ Nick 100%.  Start w/ client monitor.  It's difficult to tell w/ the limited info but, my first that is that there is a driver issue or connection property config issue on the Dell.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
While having a bit of a brainstorm, I do remember back in the day that Dell loved to install their own wireless software which would helpfully break/take over from the Windows supplicant.

I therefore suggest that you remove all of this if installed, leaving just the driver behind.

The chipset is also likely to be from Broadcom anyway meaning that it should be possible to find a much newer generic driver too from somewhere like Station Drivers and force it on via Device Manager:

http://ns3369637.ovh.net/index.php/downloads/Drivers/Broadcom/Wlan/BCM-43xx-Wireless-802.11a-b-g-n/
(Edited)
Photo of Vernon Montford

Vernon Montford

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the ideas!  Client monitor didn't show me anything and the freeradius -X logs said the EAP session was terminated and pointed me at the ssl certificate.  I wasted way too much time on the ssl certificate then an aerohive support person mentioned the dell d630 supported pre-draft 802.11n.  After some tinkering I found the issue using a test ssid in my office being the 802.11r setting.  When I disable it the laptop connects right up with no prompts at all.

The laptop is using the most up to date drivers from Dell's website right now, but I'll check Station Drivers and Intel's website for something better.  The laptop I have in my office uses the intel 4965agn, but I think we may have a lot of the broadcom model Nick mentioned as well.

Out of curiousity, what would be the least terrible between disabling 802.11r for a particular building and disabling 802.11n for about 30 laptops?  I would think disabling 802.11r would have the least impact because at least everything is connecting at faster speeds and using less air time.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
There's is no issue with draft 802.11n or 802.11r intolerance inherent to the Broadcom chips in hardware. You instead just need to ensure that the driver is up-to-date to not be hit by historic bugs. That will likely mean avoiding Dell for the driver and going for one from the OEM, even if they don't supply it directly.

So that we can establish what the hardware is, what does Hardware Ids show in Device Manager under the Details tab for the adapter?
(Edited)
Photo of Vernon Montford

Vernon Montford

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sorry for the late response.  I was on vacation for a bit.  

The device is an Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN and is using the driver from Intel with Driver Date: 10/7/2010.  I've tried downloading drivers directly from Intel and using the Intel Driver Update Utility 2.0 with no luck.

I found this link which is dated from 2013 so I'm understanding this to mean that my older intel wifi laptops aren't going to have a working driver?
https://communities.intel.com/thread/34273
Photo of Vernon Montford

Vernon Montford

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
That is the file I downloaded already.  The website says it is version 15.3.1 from 11/15/2012.  I uninstall the old driver from the laptop and it removes the wireless device from my network connections.  Then when I run the intel exe file from the download website, the wireless device comes back under network connections and the driver it installs says it is version 13.4.0.139 from 10/7/2010...

I can't really tell what is going on when I run the .exe file from the Dell website.  It just runs and stops with no prompts so I am assuming that's all there is to it.  Am I missing a step? :)
(Edited)
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
You should be able to extract the distribution EXE and point Device Manager to the inf for the newer driver.

I would uninstall the Dell provided driver before you attempt to install the newer build and select that you wish to remove the files when you do so.

Uninstall via Device Manager first. Then check Add/Remove Programs for anything else that remains.
(Edited)
Photo of Vernon Montford

Vernon Montford

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I removed everything and rebooted.  Windows installed a Microsoft driver from 2009.  I tried extracting both the .exe files with 7zip (proset software + driver install and driver install only) and couldn't find any .inf file in either.

I just read the webpage where the download is and saw this.  Looks like the 2010 driver version 13.4 is what is coming with the version 15.3.1 download!  
Photo of Vernon Montford

Vernon Montford

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the help Nick and Dawn.  I'm going to just disable 802.11r on the ssid in affected buildings until we can get rid of these old laptops.  Have a good week! :)
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
The older Intel drivers definitely do not play nicely with 802.11k/802.11r enabled on an SSID. You could always offer a dedicated legacy SSID without these in the interim.
(Edited)