Defining VLANS on SR2124P switch

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
Hi all,

I have a network running 2 Aerohive SR2124P switches and around 30 APs in a school. Just completed a project in which we split everything up into VLANs and subnets. I hit a snag when trying to configure the switches with HiveManager NG.

The APs have different SSIDs with multiple VLAN configurations, and the ports on the switches are Trunk ports (set through switch template). I couldn't get the APs to pass along and VLAN data. I realized I needed to define the APs on the switches themselves. The only way I could figure out how to do this was to access the CLI and type in:

vlan 10
vlan 11
vlan 12
vlan 13
vlan 14
save config

Once I did this, everything was working perfectly. However, once I reboot the device, do any sort of config update, or do any firmware update, the device does not save the VLAN configs, and the running config does not show these lines of commands anymore.

How do I get the switches to save this config and to also configure it through HiveManager instead of the CLI?

Thanks,

Todd
Photo of Todd Baron

Todd Baron

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of BJ

BJ, Champ

• 374 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Have you configured templates for your switches? In your template, assign your ports..."Port Usage" as "Trunk Port (802.1Q VLAN tagging)" then set your VLANs in "User Access Settings." 
Photo of Todd Baron

Todd Baron

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have configured templates, and all the ports are configured as trunks. In "User Access Settings", all I am seeing is assigning VLANs/Profiles to authenticated users. What I'm trying to accomplish is the switch knowing what VLANs are available on the switch to tag traffic.

The equivalent Cisco command is the same thing for Aerohive CLI: command is "vlan x" with x being the VLAN you want to be configured on the switch.

Currently, I can't find a way to get this to be configured other than going into the CLI. If there is a way to save the CLI config without it resetting every time the switch gets updated, that would be okay too.

-Todd
Photo of BJ

BJ, Champ

• 374 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Step by step...
Configure Tab, Network Policy (select network policy), Switch Settings tab, select template, select port(s), Assign, Create New, Name (e.g.  802.1qTrunk), add Description, Port Usage (Trunk Port {802.1Q VLAN Tagging]), Save.

A new window appears, "Trunk VLANs." Select the Native VLAN and Allowed VLANs (e.g. 1,2,3,10,20,30,100), I believe the native vlan needs to be included in this list.  

Best,
BJ