Daisy Chaining AP 330/350's?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Hi all,

I got a question from one of our partners who has a challenge with 200 meter (656 feet) long hallways with only one point where he can pull a cable from. Meshing is due to the sheer amount of people not an option.

Now he's wondering if he can use the two ports on the AP 330/350 as a sort of daisy chain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_ch...) Is there anyone who has experience with this?

Many thanks,

Stefan
Photo of Stefan van der Wal

Stefan van der Wal, Champ

• 70 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Gary Smith

Gary Smith, Official Rep

• 299 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Hi Stefan,

I don't see any problem with this working however as you have suggested however you will need to bear in mind the limit on the mac-learning on the bridge mode;

Bridge-802.1Q: In this mode, the interface is a VLAN-aware Layer 2 interface that is enabled to bridge traffic between 802.1Q VLAN-capable devices in a wired LAN segment and the wireless LAN. When the Ethernet interface is in bridge-802.1Q mode, it behaves like an access interface connected to an isolated segment of the network; that is, to a network segment that does not connect to the rest of the network except through the AP (otherwise there might be a routing loop). Because the Ethernet interface is acting as an access interface, one of the two Wi-Fi interfaces—or the second Ethernet interface on APs that have two—must be in backhaul mode so that the AP can assign it as the egress interface in its default route, which it does automatically. In bridge-802.1Q mode, the Ethernet interface acts as a trunk port to support multiple VLANs. Therefore, you can use bridge-802.1Q mode to link a detached Ethernet network segment with multiple VLANs to the rest of the network.
When deciding how big the Ethernet network segment to which you attach an AP can be, consider that an AP can learn and store up to 128 MAC addresses per Ethernet port.

Kind Regards,
Gary Smith
Photo of Stefan van der Wal

Stefan van der Wal, Champ

• 70 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the information, since this is going to be an installation in a shopping mall I am not sure that this is the way to move forward. I'm going to keep this in mind and maybe see if there's a more shiny way of resolving this.

Kind regards,

Stefan