Even though I can ping to the outside I cannot get my browser to browse.
By chance have you disabled the web server on your AP(s)? When you say that your are receiving a valid IP address and can ping resources (presumably) behind the AP this is the only thing I can think of to explain your problem, other than something uncommon.
To confirm that the web server is enabled, open the Network Policy which has been pushed to your APs, navigate to "Additional Settings > Service Settings" and ensure that there is a checkbox next to "Enable the web server".
Hope this helps
I checked, the webserver is enabled. But its funny that you mention the webserver, because it acts like that would be the problem. The page sits there and tries to load, but to no avail. I did figure out that if I put the ip address of the AP into the browser, I get the CWP page, I can click accept, and then I can browse the internet. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do that. Any suggestions?
The fact that you mention that you can manually pull up the CWP by the AP's Mgt0 address, could you tell me whether you have External or Internal DHCP and DNS set on the CWP?
Thanks in advance
I assume the external DHCP and DNS server setting means that the DHCP and the DNS are not held on the AP itself. They are hosted on a corporate DHCP and corporate DNS server, but not on the AP.
Correct, in this case External DHCP/DNS means that the AP is not hosting those services specifically for the CWP, which is a common configuration.
Unfortunately I am running out of ideas, hence the basic nature of the following questions:
- Have you tried another browser other than Internet Explorer or a different version of IE (on another machine)
- Have you tried a different client other than yours to see if the behavior follows the client change?
I'll go ahead and leave this thread open in case one of my colleagues or another community member may have any ideas that I have missed.
is there a specific DNS entry I should add?
I took another look after what you said but unfortunately I have not been able to reproduce your issue. May I ask what version of HiveOS, model of AP and whether or not you are using the default CWP or a custom uploaded pages? I am curious, if you are using customer HTML for your CWP would you be able to try with the default CWP UPA web pages?
When I tried this on both an AP330 running 6.1r3b as well as an AP230 running the latest beta code, with a homepage of google.com set in IE 11 on Windows 8.1 I was successful. When I brought up IE I was redirected to the CWP when the browser tried to navigate to google.com and after I accepted the T&C I was able to browse to the internet.
Screencap of my Internet Options settings in IE 11:
Screencap of my CWP settings, note that I am using the default web pages:
Screencast of this test at home (please forgive the HTTPS untrusted cert errors, I did not properly configure a valid certificate as this was just a quick test):
Hope this helps
Hive Ver. Enterprise 6.1r2b.
Windows 7 SP1 x64
Can you please share the version of HiveOS which you are running on your AP121s? I see that you are running HiveManager 6.1r2b, are you also running HiveOS 6.1r2 on your APs?
I'll be honest, I'm not quite sure where to have you go from here; I ran another series of tests in the office this afternoon and I have not been able to replicate the IE failure. I have tried the following iterations but each time have seen a successful test:
On both client PCs Internet Explorer was set to use a homepage (http://google.com"), not the new tabs page:
Once I get home I can post the exact version of IE 11 used on my Windows 8.1 machine but as I have automatic updates enabled there as well I expect they are the same.
[Update] here is the version information from my Windows 8.1 client used in the above tests
Can you confirm if you have tried multiple PCs? Unfortunately at this point it does not look like a systemic issue (unless you are running a different version of HiveOS, but I would recommend upgrading if you are older than the versions mentioned here). At this point I would recommend either reaching out to Aerohive Support as it looks like you are based in the US or contacting Microsoft to troubleshoot the client side, or both. I am certainly open to other suggestions, but at this point I am frankly stumped unless this is related to some obscure client setting that is interfering with the CWP behavior.
Hope this helps
Hive Manager: 6.1r5
Hive OS AP230: 6.1r5
Hive OS AP121: 6.1r3b
Hive OS AP330: 6.1r3b
Hive OS AP170: 6.1r3b
Hive OS AP120: 5.1r5
I have tested this our CWP using both internal and external DHCP/DNS as recently as last evening on my AP230 at home and did not see the behavior you mention using a Galaxy S4, iPhone 4 and early-2013 MacBook Pro.
All this tells me is that there does not appear to be a systemic issue on the AP230, so I would suggest continuing to work with Support on your specific case or opening a new thread as this appears to be a completely separate issue than the one originally reported. The OP reported that his clients DID receive a DHCP address and would properly redirect when a browser other than IE was used, so this does not sound like what you are reporting.
Unfortunately I must disagree with you on your last comment about there being a systemic issue on the AP230 regarding CWP interoperability. While I certainly agree that you are seeing something of an issue on your end, there does not appear to be any trends of systemic issues with this functionality on the AP230 platform, something that my own personal tests have show as recently as the other day.
I would suggest continuing to work with the engineer assigned to your support ticket to determine why in this situation, your AP230s are exhibiting an issue on the same port/configuration as another working AP.