Connect Dell N1500 switches with AreoHive NG

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
Dear all,

Since about 2 weeks i have 7 Dell N1548P switches.
I would like to integrate these switches with my HiveManager NG.
Unfortunately, i don't get this to work. My switch has an IP address, default gateway, DNS servers configured and has access to the internet. The Service Tag is entered into the HiveManager NG.

The switch stays offline in the HiveManager NG, despite the switch having an internet connection and basic settings configured.

Do you perhaps know if i am missing something? It is my first time trying to connect the Dell switches with the HiveManager, so i don't have any previous experience on this. Maybe that's why i am missing some essential settings :)

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Erik Bos
Photo of Erik Bos

Erik Bos

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Hans Matthé

Hans Matthé

• 131 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Hi Erik
I did not have the change to test the Dell switch in the Hivemanager NG, so it's a long shot ;). Did you ad the license for the Dell switch in the Hivemanager?
Photo of Erik Bos

Erik Bos

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Well, the issue had multiple really stupid causes ;-)
First of all, my firmware version was too old. I was running on version 6.2.6.6.
After an upgrade to version 6.3.0.10 the ability to connect to the HiveManager came available.

The second issue now is the HiveManager license indeed, which i've just ordered.

Thanks for your help!!

Kind regards,
Erik Bos
Photo of Chris Rauscher

Chris Rauscher

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Erik,
I am wondering if you ever got your switch connected to HiveManager? I seem to have everything connected correctly and my switch does not connect. I upgraded the switch to the newest Firmware but still no dice. Do any ports need to opened on the Firewall? I signed up for a 30 day trial to test the software. Does the trial allow you to manage switches or will I need to purchase the full copy?

Thanks for all your help
Sincerely,
Chris Rauscher
Photo of Chris B

Chris B, Official Rep

• 93 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Hi Chris

What switches are you using? And what firmware exactly?  Did you add the devices to your HiveManager ok and license them?  

The hiveagent software is included in the recent versions of Dell firmware for supported switches and is what is used for the switches to connect to Hivemanager and the Aerohive redirector over HTTPS.  Once the switch contacts the Aerohive redirector, it should automatically download the latest version of hiveagent software and install automatically.  You can verify what version is running by issuing 'show hivemanager status' on the switch.

Hope this helps, post the output of the above if you need further assistance.

Regards

Chris
Photo of Chris Rauscher

Chris Rauscher

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the response Chris. I did update the switch to the newest firmware and ensured the hive agent is running. Do you know if the license that Dell sells is per device or just a site license? Also, does the 30 day trial not work with the switches?

Thanks so much
Chris
Photo of Chris B

Chris B, Official Rep

• 93 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Hi Chris

I am not sure about the Dell licence you are referring to exactly, but the 30 day trial is available for the switches.  If you open a case with us with all the specifics, we can verify the entitlement on your HMNG and get you what is needed for this.

If you do open a case, let me know the number and I can deal with it for you.

Regards

Chris