Configuring BR200WP with a USB Modem

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I'm trying to setup a Telstra (AU Carrier) USB odem as a USB WAN backup but can't seem to get it connected.

The USB modem will work on the desktop via the Aircard Watcher software

Modem mode: Sierra Wireless 320U
APN: telstra.internet
No Username/Password

I tried to apply these settings in the Wireless USB Modem Settings section of the config under ATT Shockwave Sierra Wireless etc...
APN: telstra.internet
Dialup Number: set as default value ATD*99***1#
User ID: blank
Password: blank
Obscure Password: <ticked>

Currently the BR200 will work with the WAN/Eth 0 connected, when I unplug this cable it does not switch over to the USB WAN

Does the device not support AU carriers? Am I missing any settings?

Cheers
TT
Photo of TT

TT

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Ruwan Indika

Ruwan Indika

• 66 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
HI TT,

I just tried with Sierra Wireless 320U Telstra APN telstra.internet and it works. First make sure it can connect following the steps below. After that you can set up failover and test. 

1) Connect a computer to the LAN side of BR200 and login to the management page. 

2) Enter the settings and apply. Model is shown as sierra_313 but the label on the USB dongle is AirCard 320U,

3) If you have a console enter the command show L3 interface and you should see the ppp interface, 

(Edited)
Photo of TT

TT

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Thanks a lot that worked, great tip about he modem number!

Is it recommended to go through the management page rather than use the HiveMnager?

Photo of Ruwan Indika

Ruwan Indika

• 66 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I think both ways are ok, local config page in the device is useful to get the BR200 connected to Internet via 3G if there is no other link to internet.
Photo of Syd Elini

Syd Elini

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi,
We have a same issue here. I did change the USB modem settings but still not seeing the pppo interface when do a sh l3 int.
Any suggestions?