Configure a 121 as a repeater

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
Hi guys,

I got an AP-121 some time ago when doing a course, the hivemanager access for the device has lapsed and I haven't been using it lately.

Just wondering if there is a simple way to turn this AP into a repeater, I would like to increase coverage in some areas of the house, is there a way to do it via the cli? even with hivemager access is it possible?
Photo of ryan

ryan

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Ask Itee

Ask Itee

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can we ask what type of AP you'd be extending?

I recently purchased some demo Aerohive units. As an exercise i configured via cli an aerohive ap and used it replace a DLink unit. To say there was a difference is an understatement. Ive thrown out my DLink and two Netgear units because it was astounding just how much better the Aerohive unit was. Just a thought. As an FYI the cli config has gone v well.
(Edited)
Photo of ryan

ryan

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The AP I currently have is a Huawei hg630b, although I would like to replace it completely with the Aerohive, the hg is also doing the PPPoE dialing and has the fibre ONT connected to it, which I don't believe the 121 could do, so I am in a position where I have to keep that in play.

Am I correct in thinking if I create a new SSID on the aerohive with the same name, same encryption and same PSK that will effectively become a repeater? 
Photo of Ask Itee

Ask Itee

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I believe that you will need to configure the meshing for the AP to AP relationship then the clients ssid. Someone here will have deeper detail. You've given me the motivation to test configuring some of my other Aerohive APs in the same via cli to see what is possible. That is once i get the time to do it.... hmmmm
Photo of ryan

ryan

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks ltee, can anyone form Aerohive confirm how i can go about doing this and will I be able to repeat the signal from a non aerohive AP?
Photo of Eastman Rivai

Eastman Rivai, Official Rep

• 146 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Ryan,

Unfortunately AP121 cannot be configured as repeater or wireless client and therefore it cannot connect repeat the signal from an AP.  It can only be configured as a mesh AP to talk to another Aerohive Mesh AP wirelessly. 

I would buy a couple of power line adapters, connect one of them to your router and the other one to the AP  

Eastman