Client health: network and radio = 100, application =24

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
To begin with, I have to admit that I'm only starting to study Aerohive client health, so I could be missing something obvious.

I've typically got between 260 and 300 clients, about 230 of which are iPad Air, on 14 APs (11 Ap230's, 2 AP121's, 1 AP330) spread among two buildings and two "portable" classrooms (i.e. trailers).

For the most part performance is good, but I get a number of clients distributed among the APs that show poor client health.  Usually radio and network health are 100 and application health is 24.

At the moment, with very few clients on the network yet this morning, I see three Apple TVs in this condition. They're on 5 GHz channels and the only thing I can see that might be bringing the score down is transmit bit rate - a large percentage of the time at 12 Mbps and a smaller percentage of the time at 65 Mbps.

I may have provided too much unnecessary information about my network but if anyone can tell me where I should be looking to understand my poor application health and how to go about treating it I would be grateful.

Photo of Steve Kellogg

Steve Kellogg

• 87 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dawn Douglass

Dawn Douglass

• 67 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

The radio health score is dynamic relative to the device type. The Aerohive AP monitors the transmit (Tx) and receive (Rx) data rate usage distribution and associated transmit and receive success rates of the client. This statistic is quantified into a single connectivity score for each client and then compared to a benchmark score, a score that is to be expected from a healthy client.  
The benchmarks are relative to the client monitored. The Aerohive AP derives the benchmark data against:
  • The data rates the client is capable of achieving based on the PHY support (802.11 a, b, g, n respectively).
  • The objective of the deployment (throughput vs coverage model). 
  • The general RF environment that includes the deployment density, noise and RF interference. 
Based on this, the Aerohive AP defines the radio health score in a range from 0 to 100:
  • 0-24 score is considered poor.
  • 25-49 is considered marginal.
  • 50-100 is considered good. 
The end result is the ability for the support team to quickly assess the client performance. The system recognizes different type of devices and it shows the score based on our requirements. 
The next score is the network, IP score. It is based on whether the client had successfully obtained its network settings from the DHCP server. If the client can reach the server and receives the network settings, the score of 100 is given. 
Application score is the score based on the throughput that the client achieves. We can tie this against the SLA settings in the user profile applied to the client device. Based on the client performance we rank the client device into three categories:
  • Compliant clients (score 100): Clients are considered to be SLA compliant if they did not use extra airtime tokens to boost their performance. 
  • Warning clients (score 49): This happens if the clients were able to change their status from noncompliant to compliant after extra airtime tokens are used. 
  • Noncompliant clients (score 24): These are the clients that have so low throughput that even when using extra airtime tokens they do not get above compliancy level. 
Remember that the compliancy threshold is dynamic based on the SLA settings we applied on the user profile. 

Questions: What is the max data rate of the ipads that are problematic and what model are they? Are the problematic iPads a different model than the ones showing good application health?  Are they all using the same user profile/SLA?  Do these ipads still behave poorly if they are the only device connected to an AP?
Photo of Steve Kellogg

Steve Kellogg

• 87 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks very much for your reply - I'll do some research and testing to try and answer the questions you suggest!