Ceiling Tile Mounting AP230

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I am trying to find a mounting method for installing some AP230's in one of my offices.  I was originally planning on just using their T-Bar ceiling grid...but their T-bars are not what I usually run into.  It has a rolled edge on it.

So now I am debating about the plenum mounting kit but then the AP230's would need to go through the ceiling tiles and I know they usually suggest AP390's for that. 

Does anybody have suggestions for ceiling tile mounting options when the T-Bar won't work?  I looked at Oberon options but...was wondering if anybody had any creative thoughts.  Also...any issues with the radio's going through the ceiling tiles?

Thank you.

Photo of Smitty

Smitty

• 37 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Krishna

Krishna, Employee

• 22 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
This kind of ceiling is called Armstrong silhouette ceiling. We are in the process of building a mount for this kind of ceiling and expect this to be available in less than 2 months. Feel free to reach out at that time via your sales rep. Plenum may help in the interim. 
Photo of Smitty

Smitty

• 37 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thank you for the reply!  Trying to determine that ceiling type has been driving me nuts. 

I will try to hold out until the mount is available (if they can wait that long).  If I need to go with the Plenum mount...will those tiles block a lot of signal from an AP230 vs. the AP390?

Thank you again.
Photo of Bill Lundgren

Bill Lundgren, Employee

• 21 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
If you need to do something in a pinch before the bracket is released, I have done this with great success on difficult, architectural ceiling grids where no bracket was available:

Use the wall mount (flush) bracket.  Center the AP in the center of the tile itself.  Use a small piece of 1/4 inch plywood placed on the back of the tile, and screw/bolt the wall bracket in place on the front (so that the tile is sandwiched between the wood and bracket).  The 1/4 inch plywood (or a piece of metal, or just about anything) will brace the bracket and prevent damage to the tile, keep it from flexing, and give the screws something to bite into.  Then just attach the AP.  As long as you center it, it looks very nice, and is easy to service later, and only takes a few minutes more per AP (especially if you pre-cut the small pieces of plywood) than using the bracket.
Photo of Smitty

Smitty

• 37 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Bill,

Thank you for the reply.  I think we are going to try that since the brackets are not out yet.  I appreciate the suggestion.
Photo of shutterbugguy

shutterbugguy

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Are these "Armstrong silhouette ceiling" mounting brackets available yet? Our school (located in Hong Kong) is having 106 APs installed presently, and these would be useful. 

The installer is simply using the "wall mount" screw holes to drill 2 - 3" x #8 sheet metal screws up into the center of the silhouette ceiling metal grid. This seems to be quite solid.
Photo of Krishna

Krishna, Employee

• 22 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
We are working on these. Please have your account team reach out to us to understand the availability of this bracket.