Cannot add BR200-WP to HiveManager

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Hi,
We have a BR200 test unit and we cannot add the device to our newly setup HiveManager.
We keep getting this error:
====================Begin====================

Number of devices failed to add: 1

Unable to add serial number "00000000000000": Serial number(s) can not be created in database.

====================End====================
This issue came up this week when we deployed an AP330 and took nearly a day to resolve.
Why is this happening and how can we prevent this from happening?
Photo of George Oosthuizen

George Oosthuizen

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Stefan van der Wal

Stefan van der Wal, Champ

• 70 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Hi George,

It looks like this BR (and your AP) are already in the redirector for another Hivemanager. There's no way to resolve this without contacting Aerohive. But it's possible to manually tell a single AP what Hivemanager to go to through the HiveOS UI.

This webpage can be accessed by typing https://192.168.50.200 (example) and then using:
login:admin
password:aerohive

If at first you don't get in, try resetting the AP/BR.

Kind regards,

Stefan
Photo of Terence Fleming ThinkWireless

Terence Fleming ThinkWireless, Champ

• 79 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Hi George

Good practice is always to remove a device from the Hive Manager when the testing is complete, since this will not only remove it from the redirector, it will also reset the configuration on the device (assuming it is still communicating with the Hive Manager). That way you avoid the issue of having an AP think it belongs to one VHM even when it has been subsequently removed and re-assigned elsewhere.

But sometimes we don't do that ... so when I get the error message you are seeing, I SSH to it (through the console port or from the LAN) and issue the command "show run". This tells me where the AP thinks it should be attached to. If I cannot log in to the VHM that the AP is assigned to for some reason, I can at least tell Aerohive support where to go looking for the errant serial number and they can release it very quickly.