Can I use an AP230 to create a seperate WLAN with a DHCP Server to connect to the Internet via the main LAN on Eth0?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
How would I configure the AP230 to do what it shows below?  I'm not sure if this AP has the features to support this. I have gotten a device to connect and get an IP but no internet access.  Perhaps I am approaching this wrong or am trying to get the AP230 to do something it wasn't designed to do.
The reason for this is that the main subnet is restricted by the ISP contract. It doesn't provide enough addresses(the numbers of devices shown is just representative) to handle the number of mobile devices that are present on certain days. The main goal is to provide enough addresses without changing the subnet from the ISP.  I am currently using a Netgear wireless router to accomplish this.  However, as this is a remote office, remote management and monitoring in conjuction with our local APs was desired.
Photo of Mark Sundbom

Mark Sundbom

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Ruwan Indika

Ruwan Indika

• 66 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Hi Mark,

Try the configuration below, in my example I used the subnet 192.168.125.0/24,and VLAN125. Just change these to 192.168.1.0/24 and VLAN 2 for your network. 

1) Create a network policy with WIFI

2) Create an SSID and a User profile and assign it VLAN 125

3) Add the firewall rules DHCP server allow any to any, and 192.168.125.0/24 to any NAT as below,

4) Create a DHCP server for VLAN125,

5) Add the DHCP server to AP config,

(Edited)
Photo of Mark Sundbom

Mark Sundbom

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thank you.  I did not have the firewall set up correctly.  Awesome. If it fixes the problem I am happy being wrong.
Photo of Marcela V.

Marcela V.

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
On your example, under DHCP Server Options, who is the 192.168.125.1 that your Default Gateway is pointing to?
Photo of Ruwan Indika

Ruwan Indika

• 66 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Hi Marcela,

If you set 172.16.125.1 to be the default gateway the AP will setup ARP proxy for that address
and the clients can use this address as the default GW. You can set 172.16.125.3 or 172.16.125.4 or other address as the default GW, make sure that this address is not given to clients by the DHCP server, screenshot below,