Can I add an eBay find, AP320 to my existing HiveManager Online?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
I have 13 APs on my network now and need one or two more. My reseller wants $700 for an AP. I can get a used one on eBay for $50-$70. What will I need to get these on my network?
Photo of Dan Atha

Dan Atha

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Hopeful

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Travis Kaufman

Travis Kaufman, Champ

• 113 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
You have to purchase the License to have it added to your Hive Manager - which is a line item when you purchase an AP from your Re-Seller.  I am not sure you can just purchase a license for an AP without buying an AP.  
Photo of shutterbugguy

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
There are some discussions about the plans for Aerohive to add support for licensing "used APs" acquired from a previous owner, such as this one:

I hope that Aerohive corporate realizes that allowing and support this actually boosts their popularity: this will help get new customers who find the pros of Hive Manager and the controller-less environment, but don't presently have the budget to purchase new.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2486 Posts
  • 448 Reply Likes
The AP320s only go up to HiveOS 6.1r6. They came to market in early-to-mid 2008, it is now, of course, mid-2015.

It is not an AP model that I would source second hand therefore.

Depending on use case, there are significant improvements and important changes in the newer HiveOS releases.

HM-NG currently requires HiveOS 6.4r1 or later so if you have any intention to move to the newer management platform, it is an AP model that I suspect is likely to remain unsupported.