Bridge-802.1Q vs Trunk... can you please tell more ?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
Hello All. According to http://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/guides/Aerohive-Point-to-Point-Mesh.pdf , the 2 APs used for the backhaul have a slightly different config at their Eth ports

1- AP at the main site: Eth0  is a classic uplink
2- AP at the remote site: Eth0 is a Bridge-802.1Q 

Can you please tell more about the difference between "classic uplink" and " bridge-802.1Q" ?

BTW the config in the doc works perfectly, thanks

Franco 

Photo of Franco Gobbetti

Franco Gobbetti

• 45 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Roberto Minotti

Roberto Minotti, Employee

• 51 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Hi Franco,

When the Ethernet interface is in bridge-802.1Q mode, it behaves like an access interface connected to an isolated segment of the network; that is, to a network segment that does not connect to the rest of the network except through the AP (otherwise there might be a routing loop). 

Because the Ethernet interface is acting as an access interface, one of the two Wi-Fi interfaces—or the second Ethernet interface on APs that have two—must be in backhaul mode so that the AP can assign it as the egress interface in its default route, which it does automatically. In bridge-802.1Q mode, the Ethernet interface acts as a trunk port to support multiple VLANs. 

Therefore, you can use bridge-802.1Q mode to link a detached Ethernet network segment with multiple VLANs to the rest of the network.

Cheers, Roberto

(Edited)
Photo of sam lujan

sam lujan

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I want to make sure i understand our setup correctly. The AP which is connected to the network switch should be in which mode? Bridge-access, backhaul or bridge-802.1q? The AP on the other end should also be in which one of those modes to ensure it communicates efficiently and correctly? We have 3 P2P AP's (1130 models) setup like this and i want to ensure i have them setup correctly and they are functioning properly.
Thank you
(Edited)