BR200wp as DHCP server and router for 1000 clients

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
I am trying to setup for a massive event where we expect to have 1000 people. I am trying to setup a BR200wp as the DHCP server and router. I am going to configure the guest network as a 172.16.0.0/16. On the subnetwork configuration screen when I click save I get the error "
Address Pool cannot exceed 512".

What am I dong wrong? This error has then prompted a second question. Should I not use a BR200 as a the DHCP server and router?
Photo of Abe

Abe

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • anxious

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Andrew MacTaggart

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
I would say there is a memory restriction and that your pool can not exceed /23

you might want to use a dedicated dhcp server or two for such a large pool

from experience trying to use a switch or a router as dhcp server, is just not scalable. Even if you managed to configure a large pool, you would find connection issues when all users try to gain access at the same time.
Photo of Abe

Abe

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Andrew for the speedy response. The guest network at this event is a luxury. We really only need the network for a few booths. I talked with my boss and I got him to veto the guest network idea.

I still wish I could do it but I don't think 1BR200 router, 5 AP330's, and a mac mini running as a DHCP sever will cut it.

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
I'm reminded of iphone 4 demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znxQOP...

CWAP says it was due to near far issue.
Photo of Abe

Abe

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I was there for that demo, That was funny!

"CWAP says it was due to near far issue."
huh?

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
The Sybex Official CWAP Study Guide (PW0-270)

Certified Wireless Analysis Professional

It's my latest adventure

They mention the event and say that it was an example of near far issue.

but not this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZhEc...

Abe your most likely not going to have 1000 users connected at 1 time, maybe a short dhcp lease might be a feasible possibility for guest access and most guest will most likely only be using webmail or applications like that. Really depends on the event and setup.

usually in HK when I attend events with 500+ users and wireless at the venues is always sluggish.