BR200W as a router without an internet connection or hivemanager??

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Hey everyone, 

I have a question that seems straight forward and when I spoke to aerohive they confirmed that it should work but I thought someone else may have experienced this. (Only have one day of turn around of receiving the unit and putting it into production)

Can the BR200W work independently from HiveManager (vm) and the internet to still route it's own SSID traffic to a designated web address (local only)? 

Scenario: I have a BR200W with a laptop acting as a web server. This server will not have connection to the internet (nor the BR due to the location) but I want to direct all web traffic to a specified address (the web server) for a customer survey. I'm assuming I can program the BR only by CLI or if I put HiveManager as a VM on the "server" does HiveManager (vm) work without an internet connection? 

Any recommendations or people with experience of this in the past? I know I can go to a trust ddwrt consumer router but we may have around 20 people connecting to this at once which means that consumer router is going to fail. 

Thanks!
Photo of Derek Brown

Derek Brown

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Derek,
All HiveOS devices (APs, BRs, SRs, etc) operate independently of HiveManager, so yes what you are describing is certainly feasible. HiveOS will attempt to form a CAPWAP connection to it's management platform for configuration and reporting purposes, and the LEDs won't go white until/unless that happens, but I cannot think of any other adverse affects of not having a HiveManager for it to contact.

Configuring HiveOS entirely thru the CLI can be done, but is not for the faint of heart. We did no work to make that easier or more meaningful for mere mortals, sorry.
Photo of Malcolm Snelgrove

Malcolm Snelgrove

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
So is there a reason you can't configure the router via Hive Manager, and then move it to the location without internet? This is what I would do.
Photo of Ruwan Indika

Ruwan Indika

• 66 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Hi Malcolm,

You can configure the BR200 using HiveManager, make sure that it connects back to the HiveManager after the config upload, otherwise the config will rollback in 15min.  Once BR200 reconnects to HiveManager you can turn off/disconnect and use it where you want to use. Because there will be no internet access, if users try to access any webpage in the WAN side the "Internet connectivity is temporary unavailable" page will show up. Therefore have you web server connected at the LAN side. Create a a VLAN (lets say VLAN 10) and assign that to the SSID and the Ethernet ports. 

(Edited)
Photo of Derek Brown

Derek Brown

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you guys. Excellent responses. I did just install HiveManager on my laptop to bring with me to a site in case of some sort of network changes that maybe required on the BR. This way like you all suggested I just edit within the GUI and push the configuration easily this way. Rather than using CLI to do the corrections. We will test it out tomorrow to confirm.