BR200-WP bridge mode

• Question
  • Updated 12 months ago
  • Answered
I want to use a BR200WP in a strict bridge mode. We have a mobile suitcase with 2 AP330 and one BR200WP. Often, i find myself the need to use the BR200WP in a strict bridge mode only (no NAT, no DHCP, no nothing, kinda like an AP mode). Why i do not use the other AP's? The sheer convenience of having 2 POE ports on the BR200WP is making deploying an ad-hoc network for events easier, without relying on power, but here and now, we need to have a simple bridge, because we want to use the underlying architecture of the network in place (DHCP, mDNS-visible equipments,...).

So far, i can't see how it's possible, so it's AP330 only and power injectors, but it would be nice to have this solution here.

Photo of Marc Sauve

Marc Sauve

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Configuration to operate in AP mode (bridged) is possible for the BR200 but via the CLI only and not HiveManager. The resultant configuration is apparently therefore not supported by Aerohive. One way to achieve what you want in practice is to lift the configuration from a BR100 and transfer it across manually.

Why is this the case? I am not too sure but, at a guess, possibly because the BR200 might otherwise tread on the toes of the HiveAP 330.

This is something that I would like to see as a supported configuration.
It is the only way you get a capable access point and switch in one device.

(Edited)
Photo of Carsten Buchenau

Carsten Buchenau, Champ

• 356 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Hi Nick,

Do you happen to know the CLI command to do this?

I checked the CLI and couldn't find something that rings a bell... my best guess is to change the wan interface mode via "interface <ethx|redx|aggx> mode bridge-access", but not sure?

Before I take a demo AP330, change it from router to ap mode and compare the command differences - do you know it out of the top of your head?

Thanks,
carsten
Photo of Ian Munro

Ian Munro

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Carsten,

Did you make any progress with this? I would like to deploy several BR200 devices to connect clusters of network devices (wireless AP, computer, A/V receiver, TV etc,) to my home network using a central DHCP server to assign network addresses.

Thanks,
Ian
Photo of Carsten Buchenau

Carsten Buchenau, Champ

• 356 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Sorry Ian, meant to answer you earlier.

No, not really. We went for a different strategy.